Discuss Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am completing my self assessment and need to know where I should claim for cost of power and hand tools, are they classed as a capital allowance? If so these are my options, and my guess would be that it goes under 'other'
Thanks
James

Annual Investment Allowance:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Allowance for small balance of unrelieved expenditure:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Other capital allowances:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Total balancing charges - where you have disposed of items for more than their value:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It will depend on the value of what you have purchased whether it will be within the Annual Investment Allowance or Writing Down Allowance, etc.

It would all be too complex to explain within a thread on a forum. As suggested, an Accountant might be useful.

If the tools are expected to last for more than five years (which may be a bit unlikely in some cases) then they would be classed as capital expenditure.
I am not sure of the annual investment allowance this year yet but it tends to be higher than the cost of power tools, so unless you have other expenditure that will take your capital expenditure out of the AIA then these would be part of the AIA.

However this is only my incomplete understanding of the joys of tax, so best to check on the HMRC website.

If the tools are expected to last for more than five years

I've recently been watching the HMRC webinars (very good for those needing tax advice and help) and pretty sure capital is anything expected to last longer than 2 years, not 5 - which would make most tools a capital expenditure.

My understanding, is that the lower limit for capital allowances is £50,000.
Any expense (excluding vehicles I believe) less than £50,000 is just treated as a general expense.

Self assesment can be done without an account pete.

I know it can but someone with knowledge will be able to help, and if you are in business who does your accounts?

Hi all,

I am completing my self assessment and need to know where I should claim for cost of power and hand tools, are they classed as a capital allowance? If so these are my options, and my guess would be that it goes under 'other'
Thanks
James

Annual Investment Allowance:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Allowance for small balance of unrelieved expenditure:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Other capital allowances:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Total balancing charges - where you have disposed of items for more than their value:tearsofjoy: Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

What sort of value are you talking about? Are they likely to last longer than 12-24 months?

Hi all,

Thanks
James

What figures are we talking about with the tools? If small items then could be simply included within your costs. If larger or items that have a good lifespan then claiming AIA could be the way to go. The net effect on your taxable income will remain the same, just a slightly different way of accounting for the figures.

Reply to Doing Self assessment - Where is the section for power tools? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock