Discuss Domestic Condition report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

EddieB

-
Arms
Reaction score
Guys advice please on a report that has come my way to undertake remedial action, there is one item I'm not sure on how to approach it states
" No RCD protection on cables buried less than 50mm from surface of wall" The ring circuits have RCD coverage, so it's the Lighting that this statement concerns. This is a let property with shared occupancy. It's been given a C3 classification.

IMHO stating "requires improvement" means that the only logical thing to do is update the CU which isn't fair on the millions of homeowners with 16th ed or earlier homes!

tell them a new cu would improve the situation and the price of doing the work. explain it's to an earlier version of the regs and still reasonably safe. then see if they want the work done. i find about 60% agree to a new cu if you explain the benefits well enough.

There is nothing Wrong and no need for any remedial works at all, the guy who did the initial report was a numptey.

I had a nights work, working on an installation which was being installed to the 16th edition on the 27th of March this year.
Not 100% sure when it would have been signed off! I should imagine that it would not have been more than a week or two after I worked there.
Seems a bit odd that that it is acceptable for installations to be constructed to the 16th edition, yet there are people stating such installations require updating?

It's a C3, lack of additional protection via 30mA RCD for the aforementioned cables in walls buried less than 50mm. This doesn't comply with current regs.

Improvement recommended is all. No improvement is required.

It's a C3, lack of additional protection via 30mA RCD for the aforementioned cables in walls buried less than 50mm. This doesn't comply with current regs.

Improvement recommended is all. No improvement is required.

eggsackly

In theory a let property is under supervision by a letting agent with tenants not allowed to go drilling or hammering things into the wall.
The only people allowed to be doing such things should be tradesmen and so should be skilled.
So as it stands I'd say its a no code situation.

Reply to Domestic Condition report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock