Discuss Domestic Consumer Unit Exchange in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Perry Macro

Hello, I am currently working on my own house. Im not a stranger to electrics and can do the basics. I am a little bit weird in the way I want to re-wire my house. I basically want separate ring main and lighting ring for most of the rooms in the house.

So I'm going to need a large consumer unit. So I've been looking at a 21 unit which will do nicely and be able to have some over for the odd bits or add ons i may need. what unit will i need to get is there a cheap website i can go on and buy my own MCB because I'm going to need more 32amp than they supply and same with lighting. which is the easiest way to do this? is there anything specially i need to buy i know with the new regs its a metal CU but other than that I'm blind.

Are you familiar with BS 7671 and Part P of the building regs?

Every day at the moment!

If you can only do the basics why on earth do you think you're competent to rewire your entire house? If by some miracle you are able to, what about part p and an electrical installation certificate? What test equipment do you own?

first, why would you want it split up so far? maybe 3 socket circuits and 3 lighting circuits would be more sensible.

secondly, RCDs and MCBs or RCBOs?

thirdly, this is notifiable work, so unless yo employ the services of an electrician, you need to pay building control ÂŁ300 ish up front, to test and certify the work.

A ring main operates at 11kV, it is used by dnos for distribution.
Your ideal board would be an SBS compact rcbo board from which you could run a number of radials, possibly one rfc for kitchen / utility. The 22 way 24 module board is incredibly neat and compact. Problem is that you will be unable to purchase one as the importer will only supply to bona fide electricians

Every day at the moment!

If you can only do the basics why on earth do you think you're competent to rewire your entire house? If by some miracle you are able to, what about part p and an electrical installation certificate? What test equipment do you own?

Its not that hard really is it. Its more about common sense! once its been completed it will be checked over and certificated

first, why would you want it split up so far? maybe 3 socket circuits and 3 lighting circuits would be more sensible.

secondly, RCDs and MCBs or RCBOs?

thirdly, this is notifiable work, so unless yo employ the services of an electrician, you need to pay building control ÂŁ300 ish up front, to test and certify the work.

Because i want to be able to turn of each individual room if needed. when i was little and had been naughty my mother used to turn off the electric so i could use my TV. but she had to turn the whole of upstairs off. so i thought on my house for my children i would already have this in place and be able to just turn that room off LOL

Just call a qualified electrician, it will be quicker, cheaper and safer.
Also having every room and lights on individual circuits is a bit overkill... it is un-necessary expense.

it wouldn't be cheaper i know what I'm doing with wiring circuits. Each room will be done one by one so for a full re-wire it would cost hundred if not thousands. me doing it my self will cost half off that because of not paying labour costs. and
Because i want to be able to turn of each individual room if needed. when i was little and had been naughty my mother used to turn off the electric so i could use my TV. but she had to turn the whole of upstairs off. so i thought on my house for my children i would already have this in place and be able to just turn that room off LOL

If you want to do this then fine but don't come on here and undermine our profession if it's that easy then frankly what are you doing here clearly you know it already, don't put other people's lives at risk for the sake of a few quid or blind ignorance (delete as applicable) .... rant complete

it wouldn't be cheaper i know what I'm doing with wiring circuits. Each room will be done one by one so for a full re-wire it would cost hundred if not thousands. me doing it my self will cost half off that because of not paying labour costs. and
Think youre a bit naughty trying to rewire your house when you have little to no knowledge of what you are doing.

If a fire starts and the cause is traced to the wiring, his insurance companies won't be paying up .......

Saving money could get really expensive.

Time to get my coat

He used the term "lighting ring",then he used the oft stated "its not that hard"
Best leave him to his own devices

The end product may actually work,however, safety of his children to use the system will be complete guess work
He had better hiope its not a death trap because he will not have the faintest idea of proving it safe or even understanding what it entails testing for safety

Crack on mate

Reply to Domestic Consumer Unit Exchange in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net