Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Domestic Consumer Unit Exchange in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Perry Macro

Perry Macro Guest

Hello, I am currently working on my own house. Im not a stranger to electrics and can do the basics. I am a little bit weird in the way I want to re-wire my house. I basically want separate ring main and lighting ring for most of the rooms in the house.

So I'm going to need a large consumer unit. So I've been looking at a 21 unit which will do nicely and be able to have some over for the odd bits or add ons i may need. what unit will i need to get is there a cheap website i can go on and buy my own MCB because I'm going to need more 32amp than they supply and same with lighting. which is the easiest way to do this? is there anything specially i need to buy i know with the new regs its a metal CU but other than that I'm blind.

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Are you familiar with BS 7671 and Part P of the building regs?

3. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

Every day at the moment!

If you can only do the basics why on earth do you think you're competent to rewire your entire house? If by some miracle you are able to, what about part p and an electrical installation certificate? What test equipment do you own?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    first, why would you want it split up so far? maybe 3 socket circuits and 3 lighting circuits would be more sensible.

secondly, RCDs and MCBs or RCBOs?

thirdly, this is notifiable work, so unless yo employ the services of an electrician, you need to pay building control £300 ish up front, to test and certify the work.

5. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

A ring main operates at 11kV, it is used by dnos for distribution.
    Your ideal board would be an SBS compact rcbo board from which you could run a number of radials, possibly one rfc for kitchen / utility. The 22 way 24 module board is incredibly neat and compact. Problem is that you will be unable to purchase one as the importer will only supply to bona fide electricians

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Just call a qualified electrician, it will be quicker, cheaper and safer.
    Also having every room and lights on individual circuits is a bit overkill... it is un-necessary expense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Perry Macro

Perry Macro Guest

Its not that hard really is it. Its more about common sense! once its been completed it will be checked over and certificated

• Dumb Dumb x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  8. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

Can see you getting on well with everyone here!

• Funny x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  9. Perry Macro

Perry Macro Guest

Because i want to be able to turn of each individual room if needed. when i was little and had been naughty my mother used to turn off the electric so i could use my TV. but she had to turn the whole of upstairs off. so i thought on my house for my children i would already have this in place and be able to just turn that room off LOL

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

I was going to contribute, but on second thoughts......no I won't. You just go ahead and put in whatever you like pal. It's easy!

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  11. Perry Macro

Perry Macro Guest

it wouldn't be cheaper i know what I'm doing with wiring circuits. Each room will be done one by one so for a full re-wire it would cost hundred if not thousands. me doing it my self will cost half off that because of not paying labour costs. and
    Because i want to be able to turn of each individual room if needed. when i was little and had been naughty my mother used to turn off the electric so i could use my TV. but she had to turn the whole of upstairs off. so i thought on my house for my children i would already have this in place and be able to just turn that room off LOL

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Master of understatement as well.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

I just can't understand untrained people trying to wire house etc... you don't see me telling people I'll install their gas boiler for them

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Rosco

Rosco Electrician's Arms

If you want to do this then fine but don't come on here and undermine our profession if it's that easy then frankly what are you doing here clearly you know it already, don't put other people's lives at risk for the sake of a few quid or blind ignorance (delete as applicable) .... rant complete

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Think youre a bit naughty trying to rewire your house when you have little to no knowledge of what you are doing.

• Agree Agree x 1