Discuss Domestic consumer upgrades in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I’m a commercial electrician and don’t do much domestic work and was just looking for some advice on pricing consumer unit upgrades. I’m vat registered and have been told about people charging £495 plus vat for dual rcd board and £795 plus vat for RCBOs

Hi I’m a commercial electrician and don’t do much domestic work and was just looking for some advice on pricing consumer unit upgrades. I’m vat registered and have been told about people charging £495 plus vat for dual rcd board and £795 plus vat for RCBOs
What's a Commercial Electrician?

o not really an electrician then? Just someone who can't do Domestic or Industrial electrical installations, or am I wrong? You are either an electrician or you are not.
Understandable, so what sort of electrician do you class yourself as Westy, Domestic, Commercial or industrial, or an electrician full stop.

Last edited:
Not sure how you've reached a conclusion about the OP's skills or competence from what has been posted, but it's hardly relevant to the thread.
"I am a Commercial Electrician"

o not really an electrician then? Just someone who can't do Domestic or Industrial electrical installations, or am I wrong? You are either an electrician or you are not.
Domestic consumer upgrades {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

What you got to factor in here is that the customer will be paying your vat, so thats an immediate cross next to your name. you will be competing against dangerous dave from the pub who moonlights as a 'electrician' and offers no guarantee, testing or paperwork.
Also need to factor in that sometimes its not safe for the seal fairies to pull the fuse either so customer has to pay for the dno if there is no isolator.
Personally for a straightforward board change with dual rcd and no major issues to rectify id be around the £380-400 max depending on if i am fitting an isolator aswell. RCBO boards and around £500-550 for rcbo board although very much dependant on brand and number of circuits. currently getting a hager rcbos very cheap from a local small wholesaler as they got them left from a cancelled order. so fitting them.

As a matter of fact I think a larger firm would easily charge those prices. But then that would usually be for commercial concerns such as offices and shops etc. Domestic CU changes you are up against the lack of resources/money in the domestic arena. You may find a few takers at that price but you would wait a long time between the next work I guess. Realistically testing beforehand and changing might typically take a day or near it. So £280 at my rates. Then a decent DB plus RCBO can be had for circa less than £200 So I would agree with prices so far quoted. But then I have a had a four way change done in a couple of hours with RCBO so charge accordingly as it was so easy and straightforward.

Why would they not be an electrician? What is the definition of electrician that you are using?

Why does someone need to be skilled in industrial, commercial and domestic work to be an electrician? An electrician who works only in one sector of the industry is still an electrician.

Personally I describe myself as a commercial electrician when people ask what I do for a living, mainly because if you just say electrician they proceed to ask you if you can fix their lights for them, telling them you're a commercial or non-domestic electrician helps avoid it.

Last edited:

Reply to Domestic consumer upgrades in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock