Discuss Domestic data wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tom Christopher

Just about to start first fix on a house, originally the customer didn’t want any data points anywhere but after some research they have decided to put a data point next to each TV point

I’m going to wire them all back to a central point along with the incoming aireal and BT

Can anyone recommend a small “ patch panel “ for domestic use? Or any idea how to connect all the points to the WIFI router. There is going to be 6 points. Is one cat6 cable enough to each point for just WIFI?

Thanks

If I hadn't corrected it someone else would have!

What modem/router do you have as most these days provide a wired connection as well as WiFi.

Check out Cable Monkey for a 12 Port PP, work out where the router is to be located as it is always good practice to flood the house from top to bottom, so in effect router should be located in the loft so allow for cabling from the provider to that location.

Ask the customer what they need as a TV may need a network point as well as the games console and anything else, as an IT bod and network installer I always find that a hardwired connection is fr better than wireless check what they do work wise as they may also need a backup solution hidden in the house or in the Cloud as to be honest electricians these days need to add "positive value" to their skill set.

12 Port Cat5e 10" UTP Patch Panel | 10" Patch Panels - https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/10-patch-panels/9511-12-port-cat5e-10-utp-patch-panel.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA28nfBRCDARIsANc5BFBiSnJB6ALtttgreSUSs_pa6Ghp7z8kOdWZo3jbw98BJ_Nqc0wXNEYaAsIzEALw_wcB

Network switch patch panel is what is needed. If you just distribute it by splitting across several points, the cross traffic will slow the data delivery to the point that wifi would probably be faster.

The key ingredient really is the network switch.

It's a good thing to be tasked with solving though, the demand for wired networking in domestic is only going to increase - wifi is just not stable or dependable enough in a world of 4k movie streaming.

Network switch patch panel is what is needed. If you just distribute it by splitting across several points, the cross traffic will slow the data delivery to the point that wifi would probably be faster.

The key ingredient really is the network switch.

It's a good thing to be tasked with solving though, the demand for wired networking in domestic is only going to increase - wifi is just not stable or dependable enough in a world of 4k movie streaming.
Best thing to do is to switch the hub your internet provider supplied you with to Modem Mode, then take a cable to a decent Switch wired and wireless, the wired side you can then run to your patch panel or to another Switch on another floor in your house, a Gig switch at home should be fine as it won't be hammered by data traffic, its also worth investing in a switch that can provide POE to power CCTV cameras etc etc devices.

At home I have a Cisco Switch and about 2 or 3 Ubiquiti Tough Switches, these are used as the POE can be set at 24V or 48V by logging on to the switch and changing the settings.

Best thing to do is to switch the hub your internet provider supplied you with to Modem Mode, then take a cable to a decent Switch wired and wireless, the wired side you can then run to your patch panel or to another Switch on another floor in your house, a Gig switch at home should be fine as it won't be hammered by data traffic, its also worth investing in a switch that can provide POE to power CCTV cameras etc etc devices.

At home I have a Cisco Switch and about 2 or 3 Ubiquiti Tough Switches, these are used as the POE can be set at 24V or 48V by logging on to the switch and changing the settings.

That's pretty much my setup. Although as a quick fix for the bedroom telly (and out of curiosity) I also tried some of the latest gen power line network extenders. I can confirm that they will stream a 60gb bluray rip to the TV with no issues. I bought them used 'as new' on ebay for £50 and I can't believe how well they work.

I also noticed that from one socket to another on the same (tested) RFC the speed results using the power line kit can be very different. I can only assume this is down to crap getting into the contacts as I have replaced all the sockets and know the termination in each to be sound. But anyway, if you ever want to expand further without running cables, the latest power line tech really is pretty amazing.

As someone with 30 years experience in IT I also prefer the hard wired solution, Power Line adapters fill a void but I am pedantic enough to knock holes through walls and to lift floor boards up just to run another cable lol.

When I redo the house I will scrap some of the hardware and install this baby,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-28-P...d=1542669211&sr=8-8&keywords=cisco+poe+switch

Can't argue with that solution!

My power line 'shortcut' was the result of just having finished decorating the bedroom, so it was a poor time to consider chasing more data cables! We have solid walls so can't just pull'em. If I want anything anywhere, then the room has to be decorated again afterwards :rolleyes:

Reply to Domestic data wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net