Discuss Domestic Energy Assessor in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BruceB

-
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone investigated yet whether it is worth becoming a domestic energy assessor for next April so that one can issue EPC Level Cs (initial cost in time/money and ongoing costs)?

Has anyone investigated yet whether it is worth becoming a domestic energy assessor for next April so that one can issue EPC Level Cs (initial cost in time/money and ongoing costs)?

well I was thinking about it, but then thought the government might Muller that route as well! lol.... I saw that specific qualifications are been devised now called 'green deal advisor qualifications' - what ever next, more money on training!

I had been thinking of becoming a Green Deal Energy Advisor - but I am far from convinced it would be a good move.

There are some upcoming free events being organised - see Green Deal Connections

One my wife uses at a letting agent charges £45, so for that sort of money whats the point, it started at £150 but as with everything competition brought prices down, they got shafted by government in a similar manner.

I was going to say same, £40 for EPC so not point training.

I think you find that the Energy Assessor Qualifications are to be updated - not sure the nominal Estate Agent Accessors ticks all the boxes? These are to be known as 'Green Deal Advisors' and new training courses are been redevelop from what I understand:(

Last edited:
I did the energy assessor course about 3 years ago - didn't take the exams because I was too busy at the time and couldn't see myself doing the surveys day in day out to make a living but it cost a fortune then for a 3 day course - much more than pv training. It was something like £1500 for a 3 day course, a bit of directed learning and an exam. I'd had years in the industry and this was the cheapest I could get away with at the time.

Of course the cost could have come down significantly, it makes my blood boil when I hear about £200 pv courses now when we paid £750 not that long ago.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you do the EPC you can't recommend who does the required measures, you're supposed to maintain impartiality so you may end up having problems with doing the EPC on properties you're planning to install in .....

Looking last night there seemed to be internet offers of paying thousands for training that only lasted a few days. And I cannot believe it is very complicated: an inspection, recognising what you see and putting some numbers and choices in a spreadsheet. I'll investigate more in December. Interestingly I had my first booking yesterday for a PV survey and quote post 12 Dec from people who realise they live in a house that will never get to level C (the majority in Bath?) so are happy to get on with it at the 21p rate.
Regards
Bruce

I think I've posted this link before - but you can find out how many DEAs are currently in your local area by entering the relevant post code here https://www.epcregister.com/searchAssessor.html

Here in the middle of nowhere in Wales I've got 11 within 15 miles and, using the post code for where I used to live in Bath there are 20 within 5 miles.

I remember reading somewhere that the expected required number of DEAs for the whole of the UK was around 3,500 and there are now over 14,000 registered.

Yes we've got about 10 in a 14 mile radius which isn't bad for a rural area.

One my wife uses at a letting agent charges £45, so for that sort of money whats the point, it started at £150 but as with everything competition brought prices down, they got shafted by government in a similar manner.
sounds a bit like whats going to happen in the PV industry!!

I also visited a couple on Friday who said they would be interested in getting an installation before April and didin't seem overly concerned about the 21p rate. They also are unlikely to attain a grade C rating given the fact that the property is an edwardian terrace with reliance on off peak storage heating and lack of cavity insulation etc. Still hope out there beyong the 12th...

Chaps,
Here talks a qualified Home Inspector. There's more DEA's than rats. This is all about taking money off you on a false promise. Sound familiar, be an electrician/plumber in 5days?????

Reply to Domestic Energy Assessor in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock