Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Domestic Flat wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. 30th November

30th November New EF Member

Hello, I am a new forum member so I hope I have put this in the correct thread area.

I have just moved to a 1 bedroom flat in SE London. It's on the top of a 3 storey block.

Just had a new CCU fitted to enable a heated towel rail in bathroom and also new IP65 downlights in there.

Now the electrician said there was a major fault on the ring cct on the flat causing tripping on main RCD. This was something to do with some wiring being mixed with the Economy 7 system which took 2 hours to identify.

Now I've lived in 3 previous properties (never flats) all with Economy 7 and I've never heard of separate circuits just for Economy 7. Is this more common in flats for some reason? Would it mean some sockets only work during the night?

Finally, what sort of certificate should I receive for a CCU installation?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Cert EIC Electrical Installation Certificate, was any testing done prior to CU change?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  3. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

Usually 2 immersion heater circuits, 1 Economy 7 and one normal supply, plus Storage heaters on Economy 7, or everying else in the house on a cheaper rate after midnight depending on the type of meter you have, but the first type I mentioned the more likely.

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Electrical Installation Certificate

Building Regs Part P compliance Certificate

5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

It is possible the storage heaters originally had an E7 and normal rate boost supply and somehow over the years for one reason or another they have become interconnected.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Oh yeah forgot that one sorry

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

How many RCD's does your fuseboard have?

• Like Like x 1
  8. 30th November

30th November New EF Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies, will try and answer the questions above.
    There are 10 RCDs
    I don't believe there was any testing prior to the CU change (I wasn't there when the work was done).
    There now seems to be 1 socket which only works during the night. I've attached a few photos of the new CU.

Thanks again.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you have 2 RCDs. each one protects the circuits to it's right hand side. 10 MCBs. which MCB turns off the 1 socket that only works at night? i'd make a guess that it's 1 of the 16A (B16). having said that, i advise getting a competent electrician to sort this.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. MG201

MG201 Regular EF Member

How about there used to be a heater there and it has been replaced with a socket

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Spunkywads26

Spunkywads26 Forum Mentor

I maybe wrong or be stupid, but the properties I have worked in with E7 usually have 2 CU's (1 x E7 & 1 x Day rate).

If there is a socket which works at night I would assume that it is supplied via the E7 CU and as MG201 says, it was probably a heater that was removed and replaced with a socket.

As for the faulty ring circuit, the spark should have carried out prior testing to identify this before changing the CU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. john potts

john potts New EF Member

13. john potts

john potts New EF Member

is it an old elec meter with two readings or a new meter with writing saying 2 rate meter

14. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Not unless the electrician has put the other set of tails in the 2nd RCD and making the 16A socket circuit (radial?) off-peak.Is there a copy of the electrical certificate?

15. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Why do people fit an MCB and write 'SPARE' on unused ways ffs, better to fit a blank and leave the label alone for future use,if they can predict the correct rating of an MCB for possible future use they ought to be doing the lottery. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1