Discuss Domestic Flat wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new forum member so I hope I have put this in the correct thread area.

I have just moved to a 1 bedroom flat in SE London. It's on the top of a 3 storey block.

Just had a new CCU fitted to enable a heated towel rail in bathroom and also new IP65 downlights in there.

Now the electrician said there was a major fault on the ring cct on the flat causing tripping on main RCD. This was something to do with some wiring being mixed with the Economy 7 system which took 2 hours to identify.

Now I've lived in 3 previous properties (never flats) all with Economy 7 and I've never heard of separate circuits just for Economy 7. Is this more common in flats for some reason? Would it mean some sockets only work during the night?

Finally, what sort of certificate should I receive for a CCU installation?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello, I am a new forum member so I hope I have put this in the correct thread area.

I have just moved to a 1 bedroom flat in SE London. It's on the top of a 3 storey block.

Just had a new CCU fitted to enable a heated towel rail in bathroom and also new IP65 downlights in there.

Now the electrician said there was a major fault on the ring cct on the flat causing tripping on main RCD. This was something to do with some wiring being mixed with the Economy 7 system which took 2 hours to identify.

Now I've lived in 3 previous properties (never flats) all with Economy 7 and I've never heard of separate circuits just for Economy 7. Is this more common in flats for some reason? Would it mean some sockets only work during the night?

Thanks in anticipation.
Cert EIC Electrical Installation Certificate, was any testing done prior to CU change?

Last edited:

Thanks in anticipation.

Usually 2 immersion heater circuits, 1 Economy 7 and one normal supply, plus Storage heaters on Economy 7, or everying else in the house on a cheaper rate after midnight depending on the type of meter you have, but the first type I mentioned the more likely.

It is possible the storage heaters originally had an E7 and normal rate boost supply and somehow over the years for one reason or another they have become interconnected.

Wow, thanks for all the replies, will try and answer the questions above.
There are 10 RCDs
I don't believe there was any testing prior to the CU change (I wasn't there when the work was done).
There now seems to be 1 socket which only works during the night. I've attached a few photos of the new CU.

Thanks again.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

you have 2 RCDs. each one protects the circuits to it's right hand side. 10 MCBs. which MCB turns off the 1 socket that only works at night? i'd make a guess that it's 1 of the 16A (B16). having said that, i advise getting a competent electrician to sort this.

I maybe wrong or be stupid, but the properties I have worked in with E7 usually have 2 CU's (1 x E7 & 1 x Day rate).

If there is a socket which works at night I would assume that it is supplied via the E7 CU and as MG201 says, it was probably a heater that was removed and replaced with a socket.

As for the faulty ring circuit, the spark should have carried out prior testing to identify this before changing the CU.

Thanks in anticipation.

Not unless the electrician has put the other set of tails in the 2nd RCD and making the 16A socket circuit (radial?) off-peak.Is there a copy of the electrical certificate?

Why do people fit an MCB and write 'SPARE' on unused ways ffs, better to fit a blank and leave the label alone for future use,if they can predict the correct rating of an MCB for possible future use they ought to be doing the lottery. :rolleyes:

Reply to Domestic Flat wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net