Discuss Domestic Fuse board change politics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I am a commercial electrician and before we change old consumer units we always carry out an EICR as the clients have money on the commercial side of things, domestics however not so much.

on the domestic front i looked a shoddy HMO for a landlord today and they dont want to pay for a report before we change the DB.

I understand the obvious quick bond an insulation resistance checks you can carry out but your going to have to give an install cert after and you may find all kinds of crap, for example o had 0.15Mohms LN-E which could be anything.

basically without knowing what your hooking the new DB up to how do you advise the client on costs when the fixed wiring also needs to be signed off and on face value looks crap?

Hello Guys

I am a commercial electrician and before we change old consumer units we always carry out an EICR as the clients have money on the commercial side of things, domestics however not so much.

on the domestic front i looked a shoddy HMO for a landlord today and they dont want to pay for a report before we change the DB.

I understand the obvious quick bond an insulation resistance checks you can carry out but your going to have to give an install cert after and you may find all kinds of crap, for example o had 0.15Mohms LN-E which could be anything.

basically without knowing what your hooking the new DB up to how do you advise the client on costs when the fixed wiring also needs to be signed off and on face value looks crap?
If the Landlord wont pay for repairs, it's your neck on the line.

ALL my estimates for replacing fuseboards include this:

"NB: If problems are detected during the fuseboard change additional work may be required. Such issues and associated costs will be discussed with you, prior to being implemented"

If its looking carp I won't even entertain providing a price for the change unless a basic EICR is done first.

As Pete says - maybe its best to walk away..................

Perhaps a line like;
In the event of a circuit not complying with BS7671 or presenting possible danger we may elect not to connect that circuit and/or issue a danger notice in our sole discretion as the installing engineer. This will be immediately communicated to the person ordering the work.
We will ensure the reasons for such an action are made clear, and the remedies and costs made known to obviate this course of action.

I don't know something along those lines anyway.

I agree with what's been said. Either walkaway or have a price that contains sufficient clauses to cover you and then repeat them all in writing email/letter to the landlord so he understands. He wont read the estimate, he will just look at the bottom line.

Personally I'd walk away though (after telling him he's a d1ck :) ).

Ah yes, thanks Ferg. I was so distracted by the 'your' I didn't even notice it!

Perhaps a line like;
In the event of a circuit not complying with BS7671 or presenting possible danger we may elect not to connect that circuit and/or issue a danger notice in our sole discretion as the installing engineer. This will be immediately communicated to the person ordering the work.
We will ensure the reasons for such an action are made clear, and the remedies and costs made known to obviate this course of action.

I don't know something along those lines anyway.
I totaly agree but the ever so slight problem after finding a issue is, the Landlord may say, "well" I'm not paying you.

rule number 1 ,if you change a DB and you find a fault on the any circuit .
and the customer want pay leave disconnected till the customer agrees with you to rectify that fault and put in writing first. and get them to sign a the paper .

I totaly agree but the ever so slight problem after finding a issue is, the Landlord may say, "well" I'm not paying you.
Simple really just do the EICR any repairs will be costed and agreed as and when.

Cannot and shouldn't are not the same thing.

It's not unusual for me to keep hold of paperwork until payment is made.
I'll hold my hands up on this, but the job wont be finished until the cert is issued, could you be on a sticky wicket with holding the cert, I don't know as I have never had an issue like the one being discussed.

Reply to Domestic Fuse board change politics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net