• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Domestic Fuse Box Replacement - RCD Per Circuit in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the Maidenhead area and want to understand as a customer how much it would cost to do the following work:

Replace 15 way domestic split load mains box with one that has an RCBO breaker per circuit rather than the current RCBO managing several circuits.

The box was installed in October 2012 and I understand would need to be installed to the latest Part P specifications.

I would be looking to have this work completed by end of November if possible.

Regards John

its a bit like how long is a piece of string, as the price of a Consumer Unit change is very dependant on the make of the kit you install and where its bought from, and then on top possible bonding upgrades and labour. i will assume for convenience your bonding and meter tails are up to standard.

Given the current set up with split load rcd board was installed in 2012 why is it in need of change? What issues are you having?
its possible your electrician could just retro fit rcbo's into the existing enclosure to achieve some or all of what you want to achieve without the cost of a complete swap over.

my advice is never go with joe down the pub, who ever does the work check they are on the competent persons register and ask for qualifications, cv if needed to see if they are upto the job, a recommendation from family and friends who have used them goes a long way in my books.

What make is the current fuseboard?

I would say you need too locate as local spark or 2 via recommendation

Hi all,

I have a WYLEX NHISS8704 plastic mains box that was installed to meet the relevant building regs in 2012.

I want to get away from having half the house loosing power for something simple like a blown light bulb or other event.

I would always use something like Wylex or MK.

Regards John

As above. The easy option is to have someone re-engineer the existing board to have all RCBOs.
But your old board is plastic and the LATEST regs require the enclosure to be non flammable (e.g. Metal). So a whole new one would be needed to meet the existing BS7671 regulations.
Don't delay as there's a whole slough of new regs waiting in the wings for next year:(

Hi all,

The configuration is as follows:
30mA RCD protecting the following:
2 x 6A MCB
4 x 16A MCB
1 x 32A MCB
30mA RCD protecting the following:
1 x 6A MCB
3 x 16A MCB
1 x 32A MCB
2 x spare slots

I would be interested in how much this conversion would cost as I would like to get a ball park figure to budget for.

Regards John

Yes about £600 includes cert and notify. But I want to return to actual need to do this
I want to get away from having half the house loosing power for something simple like a blown light bulb or other event.
First of all, a light bulb blowing will not trip an RCD, only the MCB for the lighting circuit. So there's no gain there.
If you have a history of an RCD tripping a lot, then you do not need a new board, you need the underlying problem to be analysed and sorted out.

In my house, in 10 years, the RCD has only tripped once. And that's probably the norm.

First of all, a light bulb blowing will not trip an RCD, only the MCB for the lighting circuit. So there's no gain there.
If you have a history of an RCD tripping a lot, then you do not need a new board, you need the underlying problem to be analysed and sorted out.

In my house, in 10 years, the RCD has only tripped once. And that's probably the norm.

Disagree, seen it happen

surely retro fitting some rcbos is the easiest option as you are not changing everything and upgrading; merely modifying existing circuits. it would avoid the need to replace the plastic cu and go metal.

surely retro fitting some rcbos is the easiest option as you are not changing everything and upgrading; merely modifying existing circuits. it would avoid the need to replace the plastic cu and go metal.
Hi all,

Thank you for the swift advice, it is appreciated by an end user. I will put a job up on one of the sites such as checkatrade etc. I am grateful that what I was thinking of doing was at least feasible.

Regards John

Absolutely get a recommendation first. Then make sure he/she is listed here
Home - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

At least then you have comeback through the spark's CPS if things go wrong. Also electricians on that list have qualifications and have their work, insurance and other essentials checked every year.

If you use Chuckatroll or one of those so-called on line "trade" directories then you never know what you're going to get.

Hi John and Welcome to the Forum :)
With a change of consumer unit there are a few things to be looked at, in addition to the work to change it out. Be wary of folks who will give you a quote without a site visit :)

I agree with the statement that if your rcd is tripping putting on rcbos isn't going to help as that circuit will still trip a blown light bulb should jot cause the rcd to trip. It's a good upgrade yes but your if your current system works why change it? The board in my house was installed in 1988 and is protected by a separate rcd which I tested last year and is fully functioning, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

If a blowing bulb trips a RCD, there's a neutral to earth leakage fault present.
As said in several posts above, it's the underlying faults that need sorting, not the whole box reconfiguring.

Reply to Domestic Fuse Box Replacement - RCD Per Circuit in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net