Discuss Domestic. Has anyone seen this before? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

amckay

Domestic. Has anyone seen this before? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The shower being fed from the dp switch?

Its the first time I have come across this and not sure what to make of it. Have any of you lot seen this before?

can't see the pic. it's just a little square

Looks like they have taken a feed from the main switch to feed the shower switch.
Shame that the feed is not taken from the load side.
Is there an isolator between the Meter and the CU?

then it's a C2 in my book. no single point of isolation. if the shower sub-board was taken from the load side, you might just get away with it, as the 6mm? is unlikely to be overloaded. bad practice, though. if my eyes don't lie, though, there's a spare way in the main DB. why was that MCB not rated for the shower and used?

It would have been better in an Henly block, with proper sized tails, but being as the shower is a fixed load, it shouldnt need overload protection. The supply to it is quite short, so low chance of a fault there.
Not a good install, certainly worthy of a C3. Dangerous/potentially dangerous, not really.
No RCD protection would mean I'd change it - or recommend it to be changed, but Regs wise, I cant really think of a C2 to 'fail' it.

Basically they've used the Main Switch in the CU as a Henly block.
By rights there should be a single point of isolation for the installation.
One option would be to remove the conductors, and place them in the bottom of the switch.
Another would be to install a switch between the meter and the CU.
It may be possible to rearrange things so that the shower switch is fed direct from the new main switch, or perhaps a Henly block could be installed?

Sorry, but definitely a code C2 for me.
Switch off the main switch, and the shower is still live.

i'd C2 it as a potential danger. reason being that someone could switch off the main switch in the CU to work on the shower, which would still be energised, so a potential danger.

Well there's a spare MCB in CU which could be took out and replaced with a higher rated rcbo.
The fuse in sub board I believe is 30A.
The shower hasn't worked since Tennant moved in.
I've not been given the work as she got a "cheaper quote"

I'd prob code it a c2

so she'll get some muppet to bodge it. fire or death will see a glut of tv programmes telling joe public that all electricians are incompetent robbing barstewards and we''ll have another part pee fiasco.

Reply to Domestic. Has anyone seen this before? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock