• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss DOMESTIC INSTALLER BARE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

seza

-
Reaction score
Hi and happy new year to all,

Apologies if this has been asked before,

I have been around electrics all my life in a DIY capacity, learnt from competent electricians over the years,
Now I hope to gain the required qualification, my question to you is simply ...
What are the bare minimum steps I need to take to achieve that quickly and cheaply?

Many thanks.

Without wishing to offend, would you want to have a doctor who did the bare minimum, easiest and cheapest way to qualify?

Don't know how long "all your life" is, coming to the UK twenty years ago, after 35 years as a fully qualified electrician, I spent three years of night courses to meet the JIB requirements.

There are many others on this forum, some far more qualified than me who have also invested time and money in their careers.

Minimum, cheapest and quickest just doesn't cut it. If you want to get a career as an electrician then there are several good options, all of which will require time, motivation and money.

okay not that i agree or approve of this but the bare minimum for niceie / elecsa DI scheme is
18th edition
2392 testing
sit there online exam at home with your books for equivalent knowledge to satisfy the level 3 QS criteria.
have the correct books (BBB and OSG)
get a MFt with calibration
Insurance
fill the forms in from website and pay the fees.
show them a fuse board change in your own home or a family members and that is basically it.
you could do the 2 courses above in a week!
so maybe i should do a 5 day wonder course?

you do not need a NVQ3 to join the DI scheme as the online test they provide is said to be equivalent technical knowledge!?
Once you have been on the Di scheme for a year you could then move upto the AC without 2394/5 or 2391. its all about money!

I have been around electrics all my life in a DIY capacity, learnt from competent electricians over the years,
What are the bare minimum steps I need to take to achieve that quickly and cheaply?

Many thanks.
The 'bare minimum steps' would be to

1.Find a domestic installers course that has good reviews.

2. Complete the course.

3. Buy £2000 of equipment plus how ever much on a van.

4. Get PL insurance, equipment calibrated and register as a sole trader.

5. Spend around 1 year working with a qualified, experienced electrician.

6. Apply to a Part P scheme and pay the fees. Organise your health and safety policy, complaints procedure, risk assessments

7. Never stray from Domestic work as that is what you will be qualified in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Many thanks.

Extras to Post # 11

Expect to earn very little for 2 years minimum

Overheads per year run to about £5ooo

AND have plenty of cash in your business account so you can pay your suppliers whilst your customers don't pay you....

Many thanks.

Can't you ask the competent electricians for advice who you've learnt so much from over the years?

Reply to DOMESTIC INSTALLER BARE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back