Discuss DOMESTIC INSTALLER BARE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GMES, You did say if I end up in court the judge wouldn't take my word for it without a MWC.

I did say I didn't issue a MWC cert for replacing a light fitting or socket as well as a light switch, and there are other items I regularly replace 'like for like' that I don't issue MWCs for and I won't ever do so unless it becomes a requirement. I do a loop test and RCD test and the results are on their invoice, so I am more than happy with that (that's probably more than most sparks do).

A house owner can legally replace switches, light fittings and sockets without any experience, qualifications or being registered, and as far as I know they don't have to issue themselves a MWC.

GMES, You did say if I end up in court the judge wouldn't take my word for it without a MWC.

I did say I didn't issue a MWC cert for replacing a light fitting or socket as well as a light switch, and there are other items I regularly replace 'like for like' that I don't issue MWCs for and I won't ever do so unless it becomes a requirement. I do a loop test and RCD test and the results are on their invoice, so I am more than happy with that (that's probably more than most sparks do).

A house owner can legally replace switches, light fittings and sockets without any experience, qualifications or being registered, and as far as I know they don't have to issue themselves a MWC.

As has been said, it's optional. Up to you.

requirement. I do a loop test and RCD test and the results are on their invoice, so I am more than happy with that
Why did you not say this originally? I was about to post this earlier that a lot of people doing these maintenance jobs record basic information on a job sheet. It seems that you were needle people by refraining information 1st you added plastic accessories 2nd say about testing then you conclude by you including some sort of formal test results.

Why did you not say this originally? I was about to post this earlier that a lot of people doing these maintenance jobs record basic information on a job sheet. It seems that you were needle people by refraining information 1st you added plastic accessories 2nd say about testing then you conclude by you including some sort of formal test results.

Perhaps you need to read back because the actual point was regarding issuing certificates for all work even non noticeable jobs. I didn't refrain from providing any information (I made it very clear I don't issue certificates for work that doesn't require one). Apologies if that caused you to get the needle. Maybe you should get the needle with the thousands of people doing dangerous electrical work rather than worrying if I conducted electrical tests when replacing a plastic light switch.

Perhaps you need to read back because the actual point was regarding issuing certificates for all work even non noticeable jobs. I didn't refrain from providing any information (I made it very clear I don't issue certificates for work that doesn't require one). Apologies if that caused you to get the needle. Maybe you should get the needle with the thousands of people doing dangerous electrical work rather than worrying if I conducted electrical tests when replacing a plastic light switch.
It seemed as you were losing the argument you were adding facts in and gave a different impression if you had said that you didn't do a minor works cert but you did basic testing and recorded on the invoice or worksheet I would have been hitting the winner button.

It seemed as you were losing the argument you were adding facts in and gave a different impression if you had said that you didn't do a minor works cert but you did basic testing and recorded on the invoice or worksheet I would have been hitting the winner button.

I've lost the argument, and you are the winner so many congratulations.

Hi and happy new year to all,

Apologies if this has been asked before,

I have been around electrics all my life in a DIY capacity, learnt from competent electricians over the years,
Now I hope to gain the required qualification, my question to you is simply ...
What are the bare minimum steps I need to take to achieve that quickly and cheaply?

Many thanks.
Good for you Bruv. Go for it. Don't take any notice of wallies on here who deride you for having a go. Every one of them started somewhere. Try looking up a technical college near you. They will be able to help and give you advice on which path is best for you.

I'm not sure what you mean that 'all work needs certifying'' because that isn't the case (I don't certify all work I do).
Anything that involves altering a circuit physically or altering its design needs to be certified. So not all the work you do needs a cert but you probably do a couple of quick tests when you get to a job to for example change over a socket. So pretty much every job required to some degree inspection and testing

Don’t forget to spend a couple of minutes reading up on the Health and Safety Act, and the criminal offence of Corporate Manslaughter should a customer be electrocuted by quick, easy installations.

Don’t forget to spend a couple of minutes reading up on the Health and Safety Act, and the criminal offence of Corporate Manslaughter should a customer be electrocuted by quick, easy installations.

Perhaps you need to understand the basics of corporate manslaughter:

An individual cannot be guilty of committing, aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring the commission of the offence of corporate manslaughter.

Reply to DOMESTIC INSTALLER BARE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net