Discuss Domestic Installers Course - Ummmm!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobit200

I know this question has probably been asked a dozen times, just need some clarification on a few things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just been made redundant. Been thinking of doing a Domestic Installer Course for several years as I wish to pursue new work avenues. My idea was to take one of the many available courses so I could become a Domestic Installer and get approved by one of the bodies so I can sign off my own work. I would eventually like to go down the Solar PV route having a specific interest in the area. If I go ahead, pass the course and become approved would I be OK to just go out there and work on a self-employed basis doing general domestic electrical work in my local area? I hear the market is a bit saturated at the moment (is this true?) so the likely hood is I will have to do something else as well?
I was thinking of doing the 18 day domestic course at tradeskills4u this will give me the following quals:-

City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling

City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations

City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course

City & Guilds 2382-12 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments)

Would this be a good starting point to become a domestic installer and does anyone have any experience with tradeskills4u? Apart from OLCI, who seem expensive and very pushy are they any other training centres in and around the Leeds, Manchester areas people would recommend?

Also, I hear that the government is about to completely change these courses, increasing the time period to 8 weeks training. Is this true and how will it affect those individuals who have passed the course but not yet approved?

Thanks.

It is generally considered that doing the domestic installer course will not provide you with enough knowledge or experience to be able to safely and correctly undertake electrical work. However this is not the view of the self certification schemes that do permit this route.
You would not be able to do any site work with those qualifications.
A better route is to take something like the C&G 2357 to get your knowledge base, NVQ3 and be able to work in industry.

Search this site for Tradeskills4U there are a lot of threads about them.

What he said ^^ And, just a little pointer - don't let them tell you that Part P is a qualifaction, because it isn't. Part P is just part of the building regulations, so don't be brain washed by them.

I know this question has probably been asked a dozen times, just need some clarification on a few things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just been made redundant. Been thinking of doing a Domestic Installer Course for several years as I wish to pursue new work avenues. My idea was to take one of the many available courses so I could become a Domestic Installer and get approved by one of the bodies so I can sign off my own work. I would eventually like to go down the Solar PV route having a specific interest in the area. If I go ahead, pass the course and become approved would I be OK to just go out there and work on a self-employed basis doing general domestic electrical work in my local area? I hear the market is a bit saturated at the moment (is this true?) so the likely hood is I will have to do something else as well?
I was thinking of doing the 18 day domestic course at tradeskills4u this will give me the following quals:-

City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling

City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations

City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course

City & Guilds 2382-12 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments)

Would this be a good starting point to become a domestic installer and does anyone have any experience with tradeskills4u? Apart from OLCI, who seem expensive and very pushy are they any other training centres in and around the Leeds, Manchester areas people would recommend?

Also, I hear that the government is about to completely change these courses, increasing the time period to 8 weeks training. Is this true and how will it affect those individuals who have passed the course but not yet approved?

Thanks.

Still not enough by a country mile.

The country is flooded with people already holding these Qual's and way above in experience and courses passed but domestic is been a saturation... many fully qualified companies sparkies are struggling in the domestic still and 10's of thousands have been put out of work ... don't be fooled by these 'EXPECT POSSIBLE EARNINGS OR YOU COULD EARN!!!' crap reality is you will have passed your already limited monies over to a course that will benefit you zero.... I may be wrong you may land lucky but im willing to bet you regret it in this climate.. with no experience you will be hard to employ regardless of paper results and then your at the back of the experience list if you gain any .....loads more out there stuck in the same rut ... look into your local area you may be in a good situe if kind of remote etc but any big town or city you may struggle. I might sound pessimistic but Im always in the local wholesalers and the story has been the same for last 3+yrs of local bosses I know having to drop most of their staff ... Good luck though I give warning not direction just do your research especially to your area.

Hi bobit200,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

Within our Domestic Electrical package we offer a wide range of qualifications. Craig is our Careers Advisor Manager here at OLCI and is very helpful. I have passed on your concerns so when you speak to Craig you will just get the information you need.

Please call Craig on 020 7107 0334, alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Why does every man and his dog think it's that easy to be an electrician?

Really is insulting that after years of training people can become sparks after 8 weeks.

I would love to be a doctor. Are there any 8 week courses?

Hi Bobit200,

Please do search this site for feedback on us. You should find it is generally very positive. However make sure you do not get us confused with any other training providers with similar names. We offer a huge range of courses for those new to the industry and experienced guys out there already working.

You can call us for advice on which course to take, we are now offering some courses in Warrington but the majority of the package you have identified will need to be taken at Gatwick.

What ALL of these so called courses lack is hands on experience.

The big wide world isn't like the pictures in the OSG, so think very, very carefully about committing thousands on a career change, as you will not end up employable at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
More and more employers want experience,all the quals in the world are no good if they have to babysit you to make sure the job's done right.

City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling What is this qualification? Sounds made up to me, won't get much recognition in the industry and you'll probably struggle to get a job. Micky Mouse springs to mind.

City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations This is NOT a qualification.

City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course This is NOT a proper inspection and testing qualification, this is only at level 2 standard. 2394 and 2395 are what you need, not this.

City & Guilds 2382-12 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments) About the only thing recongisible from the above list - and again, this is a joke, any muggins can pass this.

Would this be a good starting point to become a domestic installer No.

My thoughts are in red.

The domestic installer course is not enough to go self employed.

I have just taken on a subby with these exact qualifications and I can tell you from experience that it is not enough. These courses give you basic theory and thats it.

The domestic installer electrical install qualification practical is nothing like onsite. Its just a lighting rig in a small bay. A small ring and a radial, and a cooker circuit...all in a small workshop bay. All clipped direct.

The test and inspect course is not much, again basic theory..Ive done at least 20tests with him since and its only just starting to click properly.

there was a guy on my subbys course who went straight on to self employment...all my subby keeps saying is he must be mad

Reply to Domestic Installers Course - Ummmm!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net