Discuss Domestic ispect and test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gra426

Hello All,

I currently work as an industrial technician. I was thinking of diversifying a bit and looking at maybe doing some inspect and test work for domestic certification and small installions i.e board changes and the likes. I am already 17th edition trained and looking to complete my 2395 in the next couple of months.

What I would like to know is the rough costs of setting up to do this kind of work. I am aware of the need to have calibrated test equipment but would like an idea of the costs of any required insurance and registration which would allow me to do this work legitmately.

Cheers in advance.

Hello All,

I currently work as an industrial technician. I was thinking of diversifying a bit and looking at maybe doing some inspect and test work for domestic certification and small installions i.e board changes and the likes. I am already 17th edition trained and looking to complete my 2395 in the next couple of months.

What I would like to know is the rough costs of setting up to do this kind of work. I am aware of the need to have calibrated test equipment but would like an idea of the costs of any required insurance and registration which would allow me to do this work legitmately.

Cheers in advance.
Stick with it cocker, don't go down the slippery slope to the Part P 17 day fan club.

As above stick with industrial mate , why would you want to go to domestic, just have a search on here and you will see that most domestic sparks have had enough of it.

Just fancied a bit of a change. With shifts I also tend to get reasonable time off and would not mind doing some I&T work in that time.

if electrical work was football then........

industrial = Barcelona
domestic = Accrington Stanley

i know which team i'd want to play for.
;-)

the grass may appear to be greener on the other side .........

you have no idea the amount of competition youll have working in the domestic sector.
and the market for periodic inspections is virtually non existant anyway.

dont bother tbh

The thing is I can get funded through the company for the 2395 so I figure I might as well do it. Just wanted to know what I would then have to do to legally do any domestic work.

The thing is I can get funded through the company for the 2395 so I figure I might as well do it. Just wanted to know what I would then have to do to legally do any domestic work.
You can legally do electrical work in the home now if you are a technician, what you need to do though is read part p and understand rules regarding notification to the local authorities.

You planning on doing domestic along side your current job? Can't think your employer's will be too happy should they pay for the 2395 and then you just up sticks and leave.

Infact, if they fund the 2395 for you i wouldn't mind betting that it involves you staying with that company for at least 12months.

Its going to cost you between £400-500 a year for registration to one of schemes another £80-120 for public liabilty insursnce and about £200 for indemnity insurance in your doing Eicrs. Plus test equipment & calibration each year.

Don't forget the 40 pence tax rate as you will very likely go over the threshold, assuming your boss allows you to have 2 jobs, good luck then, howver we did warn you.

there is no requirement to join a scheme to carry out inspections and issue certificates.
and inspections are not notifiable.
so anyone who would consider spending £500 in doing so is clearly not informed

If I was to do any notifiable work though and was not affiliated has anybody got any idea how much building control would charge per job if I supplied inspection reports.

Hello All,

I currently work as an industrial technician. I was thinking of diversifying a bit and looking at maybe doing some inspect and test work for domestic certification and small installions i.e board changes and the likes. .

Biff
Will do for board changes though :rolleyes:
Unless he goes down labc route and pay £150 a time never get any work when the cowboys are knocking them out at that price supplied and fitted :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just answered my question about labc. Probably going to do the course anyway as I'm not paying for it and you never know what the future holds. Might give the work a miss though. Have to say that it p****s me off a bit though that because of current legislation although I work on kit worth millions of pounds daily with a lot more potential to do harm I am not allowed to fit a light in my bathroom!

Reply to Domestic ispect and test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock