Discuss Domestic lighting issue? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

macka09

Hi guys, I'm not an electrician but after some advice please. I've replaced a few light fittings today but have hit a stumbling block. The kitchen lights existing wiring has 3 main wires going to it, but one of the black wires has been snipped. So I'm left with 3 red, 3 earth and 2 black. Is there anything I could do to rectify?

Make sure it is isolated then connect it up exactly as it was before you took it apart.

Call an electrician on Monday and get them to sort it out.

Electricity kills in a fraction of a second, don't risk your life or the life of your family for the sake of a call out charge.

Ok thanks. It's isolated. I removed the old light weeks ago but didn't notice the wire was cut as I only only disconnected via the block.

So your kitchen light is on its own circuit. Very unusual

He said he removed it from blocks, so if we're being nice, he could have only isolated it again so he could finally reinstate the kitchen light, after "weeks" without it. He evidently doesn't live with a woman.

Evidently I'm not living there. The house is being readied for us to move in lol. So I isolated the whole of the downstairs lighting as no one is living there.

Domestic lighting issue? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

That's what's in the kitchen. Photo taken without the block put on.

I could take a look. I have asked a sparky to come and look at it. I tend not to do much with electrics apart from the very basics. I assume you have noticed the black wire (neutral) is missing? Why would they do that? As previously mentioned the old strip light worked before!

So am I right in thinking, if the neutral is cut out at the switch, all the red lives got to live at the new fitting. Earth to earth and the existing 2 blacks to neutral ??

I could take a look. I have asked a sparky to come and look at it. I tend not to do much with electrics apart from the very basics. I assume you have noticed the black wire (neutral) is missing? Why would they do that? As previously mentioned the old strip light worked before!

The switch line only needs a live connection as the neutral is already at the light fitting, most people is the neutral conductor of a piece of twin and earth as the switch line (you don't need a neutral at the switch) and the live as a permanent but some people do things other ways, I can't understand why someone would wire up a light like yours but I've seen it done a few times

So am I right in thinking, if the neutral is cut out at the switch, all the red lives got to live at the new fitting. Earth to earth and the existing 2 blacks to neutral ??

The two blacks go to neural, the warts to earth and the single live (with the neutral cut out) to the live terminal. The other two lives need to be kept together, either in a fourth port on the light (loop, some have them) or a connector block/wago. If you wire them all into the live, the light will never go off.

an educated gues would be the 2 reds together are Lin and Lout. these would be blocked together with nothing else connected to them. then the red on it's own is L to the light. the 2 blacks are N to the light. the earths obviously all connected to each other anf to the E terminal of the light.

That's exactly how I wired it originally and it caused the breaker to go I left the 2 lives in a block together and taped it. Took the single live to live on the fitting and the 2 blacks to neutral?

Reply to Domestic lighting issue? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock