Discuss Domestic Lighting - RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Coming across a few installations with no RCD protection. How are folks finding it out there when doing minor alterations / additions to existing lighting circuits with no RCD protection bearing in mind 18th Edition requirements. Appreciate every installation is different. Are folks replacing MCB's with RCBO's, replacing whole CU's or where appropriate using RCD FCU's. Should imagine this is going down well with customers.

Not having done the 18th, but I’ve read here some saying the new regulation applies to the whole circuit that has been altered or added to, not just the new bit?

Not having done the 18th, but I’ve read here some saying the new regulation applies to the whole circuit that has been altered or added to, not just the new bit?
That's what I mean MW. Presumably any new work / additions alteration on a domestic lighting circuit will now mean an addition of an RCD as additional protection to the whole circuit?

If you extend to the existing circuit then additional rcd protection is required. Replacing like for like accessories and fittings does not. Somewhere in the 18th Ed it cites en 61008 and en 61009 devices are suitable to provide additional protection, this would not include rcd spurs.

If you extend to the existing circuit then additional rcd protection is required. Replacing like for like accessories and fittings does not. Somewhere in the 18th Ed it cites en 61008 and en 61009 devices are suitable to provide additional protection, this would not include rcd spurs.

Glad I stopped doing this nonesence then; regulary used RCD fcu’s for bathroom refurbs. Now probably have to add a new additional CU’s for a couple of downlights or a vanity mirror.

Glad I stopped doing this nonesence then; regulary used RCD fcu’s for bathroom refurbs. Now probably have to add a new additional CU’s for a couple of downlights or a vanity mirror.

I never usually have trouble with just fitting RCBO's. If I can't source one it's usually because the consumer unit wants changing anyway.

I've never liked using RCD spurs. They're almost always cheap and nasty and almost always located somewhere the customer is unaware of!

I was wondering about this a few days ago. (Off work at the mo recovering from hernia OP, so got a bit of time on hands).
I was of the impression if say adding a extra light it would need rcd protection so I would put on rcd spur. But learnt something new today from Westwood. So say for the same job you are adding an extra light in a bedroom, you would now need to provide rcd at source. Which could potentially mean a stand alone mini board for lights if unable to get rcbo for original board, or a board change. Customers are going to love us!!!
Sorry mrs Jones as your board has no rcd protection, I cant put an extra light In unless you have new board or mini board for lighting. I can see a lot of Joe's down the pub getting yet more work, as they don't give 2 hoots about regs.

I never usually have trouble with just fitting RCBO's. If I can't source one it's usually because the consumer unit wants changing anyway.

I've never liked using RCD spurs. They're almost always cheap and nasty and almost always located somewhere the customer is unaware of!

Not all CU’s will accept RCBO’s. wish it was that easy.

I have got approval from NAPIT to use devices to BS7288, which relates to RCD sockets and FCUs in a range of situations.

I am not the only one on this forum to have clarified this point by asking my scheme for advice.

No member has reported back that their scheme do not advise on their continued use, that I have seen.

For Christ sake phone your scheme, if you have one, that's what they're there for.

Ooh, I'm getting all unnecessary now, time for a lie down.

What’s really daft is that if a customer wants a loft light, on a mcb protected circuit (obsolete Cu or 3036) they can’t understand why it would cost £100’s to fit,

My guess is that lots of work that was previously done and certified, is now done cash in hand .....

Progress? I think not

I have got approval from NAPIT to use devices to BS7288, which relates to RCD sockets and FCUs in a range of situations.

I am not the only one on this forum to have clarified this point by asking my scheme for advice.

No member has reported back that their scheme do not advise on their continued use, that I have seen.

For Christ sake phone your scheme, if you have one, that's what they're there for.

Ooh, I'm getting all unnecessary now, time for a lie down.
In all my years I have never contacted any scheme for advice.

In all my years I have never contacted any scheme for advice.

I find it very liberating, sometimes it pays not to over think things and ask the people you pay to do the thinking for you.

I know not all sparks are scheme members so on the available evidence to them your stance is correct.

Good innit.

Coming across a few installations with no RCD protection. How are folks finding it out there when doing minor alterations / additions to existing lighting circuits with no RCD protection bearing in mind 18th Edition requirements. Appreciate every installation is different. Are folks replacing MCB's with RCBO's, replacing whole CU's or where appropriate using RCD FCU's. Should imagine this is going down well with customers.
Yes

Reply to Domestic Lighting - RCD protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock