Discuss Domestic load and running home office question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 107562

Hi hope you can advise. I've just purchased a 2500w, 230-240v, fitted with 12.4 amp fuse heat press for my small business which came with a 13amp plug. I've been advised it's safe to plug into its own domestic wall socket. However it's a double wall socket and normally in the other socket i have my office equipment (1 pc, 2 monitors, 2 printers) on a 10 gang surge protected extension tower. The heat Presses instruction manual as copied below says "exclusive use of a power outlet" -So am reading correctly that I shouldn't power on both heat press and office equipment sockets at same time? i.e will it overload the double socket? I'm paranoid about causing a fire naturally. If I ran a longer extension to the socket on other side of room to power the pc etc extension tower would that be safe?

Here's all the manual instructs electrical install wise:
The Beta Maxi press should be connected to the mains supply, (nominally 230V AC for the European market or 120V AC for America) by the mains cable provided and a suitable plug. A qualified person should carry out this work. The press is designed for 220-230 volts AC 50/60 hertz and requires exclusive use of a power outlet rated for at least 13 amps.

think you have read it correctly. then again, the double socket in question is rated at 20A. your IT equipment is only a couple of amps, so i can't see a problem.

Hi hope you can advise. I've just purchased a 2500w, 230-240v, fitted with 12.4 amp fuse heat press for my small business which came with a 13amp plug. I've been advised it's safe to plug into its own domestic wall socket. However it's a double wall socket and normally in the other socket i have my office equipment (1 pc, 2 monitors, 2 printers) on a 10 gang surge protected extension tower. The heat Presses instruction manual as copied below says "exclusive use of a power outlet" -So am reading correctly that I shouldn't power on both heat press and office equipment sockets at same time? i.e will it overload the double socket? I'm paranoid about causing a fire naturally. If I ran a longer extension to the socket on other side of room to power the pc etc extension tower would that be safe?

Here's all the manual instructs electrical install wise:
The Beta Maxi press should be connected to the mains supply, (nominally 230V AC for the European market or 120V AC for America) by the mains cable provided and a suitable plug. A qualified person should carry out this work. The press is designed for 220-230 volts AC 50/60 hertz and requires exclusive use of a power outlet rated for at least 13 amps.
As a recommendation only BS7671 recommends that electrical equipment in excess of 2KWneeds to be on a separate circuit. Sorry I mean it's own circuit.

think the question is whether or not OP should use both outlets of a double socket when the heat press is in one side. the manufacturers instructions are ambiguous. does a double socket count as 1 outlet or 2? maybe it's advising against using splitter, or does it mean don't load the 2nd outlet of the double. oh-ho. my head's hurting now.need beer.

Presumably what they mean is that you should plug it straight into the wall and not via an extension lead or worse still a multiway extension lead. The reason for this is the fuse in the plug will be rated at 13A max, which will nearly all be used up by the heat press; plugging anything else in is likely to make the fuse blow.

My main question is more whether I can use BOTH sockets of the double extension at the same time, one with the heat press, one with the extention tower running my IT equipment. At the moment I am turning all my pc equipment off each time to plug in and use the press but that is a real pain! (But not as painful as a house fire).

The OP is confusing. Did it come with a plug on it or not? Where does the "12.4A Fuse" fit?? If it's got a plug on it just plug the b****r in man.

As a recommendation only BS7671 recommends that electrical equipment in excess of 2KWneeds to be on a separate circuit. Sorry I mean it's own circuit.

Whereabouts in bs7671 does it say that?

There is a recommendation that cookers, ovens and hobs over 2kW be on their own circuit, and a recommendation that immersion heaters, comprehensive space heating or loads of a similar profile not be supplied from a ring circuit.

No mention of portable appliances connected via a 13A plug not being recommended for plugging in to a general use socket.

Whereabouts in bs7671 does it say that?

There is a recommendation that cookers, ovens and hobs over 2kW be on their own circuit, and a recommendation that immersion heaters, comprehensive space heating or loads of a similar profile not be supplied from a ring circuit.

No mention of portable appliances connected via a 13A plug not being recommended for plugging in to a general use socket.
Maybe thats what I was thinking about

As others have said, there shouldn't be a problem here. Don't use any high current appliences such as another heater, iron or hairdryer in the same double socket. It equipment should be fine though. Just keep an eye out for any damage/discolouration of the plug pins and the front of the socket. But there are usually pleanty of signs of an overload before it gets to the fire stage (providing the electrical instalation is properly designed and maintained).

Reply to Domestic load and running home office question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net