• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Domestic rewire advice?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi fellow sparks. Just started a rewire at mo 3 bed house. Not my usual business tbh. Far and few. Just after any advice into people's routines and methods for efficiency. I'm sure the lads that do this day in day out know some tricks of the trade!! I can't see the light at the end if the tunnel and it's only day 1!!!!

Hi fellow sparks. Just started a rewire at mo 3 bed house. Not my usual business tbh. Far and few. Just after any advice into people's routines and methods for efficiency. I'm sure the lads that do this day in day out know some tricks of the trade!! I can't see the light at the end if the tunnel and it's only day 1!!!!
a few ways to do it.

1. power down the lot, rip out, rewire on a 1st fix -2nd fix basis. fit a double socket on a RCD +MCB board to give power for tools. lights etc.

2. rewire each circuit/floor at a time.

3. get someone else to do it.

Day 1- Full Prep
Mark out any additional extras and then chop out and chase every drop in the entire house. Fix all back boxes to walls and lift necessary floor boards, then pack all tools away and sweep and clean everywhere. Install temp power and plan routes for cables ready for tomorrow. Core drill if necessary

Day 2- Get Pulling Lad
I wire in order of this:
-Mains (if not next to board)
-Water/ Gas
-Cooker
-Rings
-Heating
-D/S Lights
- Up Lights

Day 3- Second fix Sl*t
Second fix everything at once, and leave face plates un-screwed for testing.

Day 4- Test and Commission

This is a brief outline on how i would carry out an empty rewire, Ive never done a lived in rewire and wouldn't for that matter. If its a new build same outline without second fix and testing, two days for a standard 4 bed on my tod.

Keep going!

Day 1- Full Prep
Mark out any additional extras and then chop out and chase every drop in the entire house. Fix all back boxes to walls and lift necessary floor boards, then pack all tools away and sweep and clean everywhere. Install temp power and plan routes for cables ready for tomorrow. Core drill if necessary

Day 2- Get Pulling Lad
I wire in order of this:
-Water/ Gas
-Cooker
-Rings
-Heating
-D/S Lights
- Up Lights

Day 3- Second fix Sl*t

This is a brief outline on how i would carry out an empty rewire, Ive never done a lived in rewire and wouldn't for that matter. If its a new build same outline without second fix and testing, two days for a standard 4 bed on my tod.

Keep going!
so what do you do after lunch?

Day 1- Full Prep

Day 2- Get Pulling Lad
I wire in order of this:
-Water/ Gas
-Cooker
-Rings
-Heating
-D/S Lights
- Up Lights

Day 3- Second fix Sl*t

Keep going!

Exactly how I've intended buddy. Day 1 chopping and boards up. Routes mapped. Tomorrows cable pulling. Appreciate the advice!!

Bloody hell you're fast young Will ! :)

Yeah and Rough;) Na thats what an apprenticeship in house bashing gets you, sadly my boss was on price so i was his donkey, fast donkey= good donkey. I must say now i am on day rate and calling my own shots i tend to have a more relaxed pace. You old boys or should i say 'seasoned" boys would wipe the floor with me, when it comes to containment.

Reply to Domestic rewire advice?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back