Discuss Domestic Rewire Sequence? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dlewis_DE

Hi All,

Wondered if there is anybody out there that could give me some advice on 'What order to carry out a re-wire'?

I am Part P registered and have been running my own Buisness for about 18 months and can carry out most task in a reasonable time frame and order. One thing that concerns me is i haven't carried a re-wire yet.... I know that it takes about a week to do but have no idea in what order to carry out the installation...

Do i rip it all out and start a fresh or replace the consumer unit first, then start with upstairs lighting working your way down the house. Maybe consentrating on one circuit a day..

Appreciate the help guys as i'm sure the calls coming! i've up my advertising so its only a matter of time..

Thanks in advance

Dave

I would take on another electrician to help you till you find your feet. The customer will not be happy if you leave them without power and give them the impression you do not know what you are doing. There is more to a rewire than simply putting the circuits in, the biggest part is keeping the customer sweet.:D

To be honest it is how long is a piece of string. There are so many differing factors, do you need to keep power on as the place is occupied, are you lifting and putting down floor boards every day, are you going to reuse any of the existing drops and back boxes, are you going to reuse nay of the runs under the floor, the list can go on an on.

What is common though is don't worry about how long it takes, it takes what it takes, and talk to your customer and arrange with them what they want and need ie what power they need all the time, what can they do without and draw a plan up from there .

If the house is unoccupied, then I always like to get the worse out of the way first which would be chasing and lifting boards, then installing the cable and 1st fix done, fit CU and then 2nd fix, testing and finally connecting the CU

A lot depends on how big the house is, and if it's occupied. If so you cannot leave them without power, lighting or heating. I normally try to get another spark and someone to labour for me.
Day 1 labourer chases and fixes boxes etc while sparks pull in cables mount new CU The order go in is usually downstairs lighting, upstairs RFC (Since you have the floor up it makes sense to pull both in at roughly the same time), downstairs RFC, kitchen RFC then single point stuff like heating, cooker, smoke alarms with upstairs lighting left till last (and by that time your labourer has nothing to do so up in the loft he goes)
If you get the lighting pulled in both sparks can second fix them and temp them into the old CU. It's all down to individual preference and which way you think is best though.
PS I think in the new regs there's one prohibiting qualified sparks from going up in the loft (At least that's what I told my labourer on the last one:) )

Standard occupied semi?....Upstairs lighting first day....clip loft and second fix....stick a 13a plug on the feed and plug it in to get the lights going..any time left start lifting boards and sorting out runs...Second day boards up and run upstairs power to sockets without cutting any existing...followed by downstairs lights and sockets...other circuits and bonding. With all cables to positions the next few days are spent chasing/second fixing...planning is needed to swap old to new to avoid leaving no power overnight...new circuits can be connected to old feeds etc to temporarily energise.Test as you go and before energising new. Finally all new cables to CU position and CU swap.Complete testing.
Only problem is as old circuits are retained to keep client going you need new runs,which can be a problem in busy floors.Final job is to pull out as much old stuff as possible.
Thats how I do it....I's a lot easier if not occupied...as you can rip out all old and start fresh.

To be honest it is how long is a piece of string. There are so many differing factors, do you need to keep power on as the place is occupied, are you lifting and putting down floor boards every day, are you going to reuse any of the existing drops and back boxes, are you going to reuse nay of the runs under the floor, the list can go on an on.

What is common though is don't worry about how long it takes, it takes what it takes, and talk to your customer and arrange with them what they want and need ie what power they need all the time, what can they do without and draw a plan up from there .

If the house is unoccupied, then I always like to get the worse out of the way first which would be chasing and lifting boards, then installing the cable and 1st fix done, fit CU and then 2nd fix, testing and finally connecting the CU

Hope you disconnect and remove all the old cables first before you start installing the new!! lol!!!

I normally lift boards 1st, just to check chases are not right on a joist, then chase, then 1st/2nd fix as needed to keep the power on.

change board last, wire in new cables, test and remove whats left of old cables.

each one is differant.

Chopping in boxes and lifting floor boards has to be one of the most boring jobs out, but needs must and all that :) Good Luck, it does get easier :)

Sort out where everything is going, boards up, drill out, wire, wire loft, 1st fix upstairs (2nd fix too if necessary) 1st fix downstairs (2nd fix too if necessary), swap board, Rip out old, test.

read the client, if empty/temp supply for you and other trades/if occ- temp lts /stairs and a couple of sockets/
change cu/bonding-ry to work in sequence hey need the job done so it may be better to hit hard for a short time than spread the job out
but always try to read the clent

I think it depends on how the house is built and what's under the floors etc to the way you think when you get there.

Its easy to say do it in a certain order but I tend do work in areas, put bits of rings in here and there.

Just work through it methodically and you will be ok, just remember to label all your loose ends if not obvious so you don't end up wondering what its for.

Reply to Domestic Rewire Sequence? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock