Discuss Domestic RHI Delayed Until Spring 2014 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's a right mess, installers and manufacturers spend money in order to be ready for a domestic market and the government kicks it into the future time and time again.

Although those who are off the gas grid should be looking at biomass and heat pumps without a RHI as the cost of oil is crazy.

Tom

it's nuts, by the time they get around to launching the scheme it won't be needed anyway due to fuel price rises, but there won't be the experienced installers left in the market to actually carry the work out due to the chronic lack of support over the crucial period from 2010-14 when the industry should have really been ramping up and creating economies of scale to bring the price down.

We've ended up losing our heating engineer to another firm as we didn't have enough renewable heat work due to RHI continually getting delayed - we'd originally taken him on 6 months before the delayed Spring 2012 RHI launch with the aim of ramping up that side of things as the launch date got closer.... seems that it's always around 6-12 months away from being launched.

Stupid thing is that they're struggling to get the installs for commercial RHI, but haven't realised the connection between domestic and commercial, in that a lot of commercial work ends up coming from mainly domestic installers who gain experience in domestic, then move into doing more commercial work, and the 2 support each other to make a sustainable business.

I'm getting fed up of governments wrecking my business plans! I'm fed up with their lies as well!

Things were just starting to pick up nicely but this is going to discourage people again.

Is the Green Deal going to be the next fiasco?

Last edited by a moderator:
Barker was on R4 this morning. He sounded a little bit desperate when promoting the GD whilst playing down the poor take-up so far.

Barker was on R4 this morning. He sounded a little bit desperate when promoting the GD whilst playing down the poor take-up so far.

Out of interest what was the take up of Solar PV in the first few months after the launch in April 2010? I would be able to get this data from DECC but the have the data starting in Jan 2012 now.

FIT installs graph.png

there you go.

Problem with that comparison though is that with FIT the industry was starting from a very low base line, whereas GD is replacing an existing energy efficiency scheme that was already carrying out loft insulation and cavity wall insulation work at an incredible rate, and the mismanaged transition to GD has led to tens of thousands of those installers being laid off, and I'd expect the rate of that work to have plummeted to something like 10-20% of the level it's been at for the last few years as a direct result of DECC's incompetence.

Greenest government ever!!!

There was a huge leap of faith for the early adopters of solar and a large chunk of money to part with - I was amazed it did as well as it did so quickly. Not half as amazed as I am at the ridiculous numbers of insulation installers who are being paid off as a result of a government run energy efficiency programme.

Greenest government ever making the smallest cut in co2 emissions - I'm sure they can even spin a line about that!

I wonder what the combined estimate of jobs lost in the domestic & light commercial renewables and energy efficiency sectors is in the last 18 months?

Between solar PV, insulation and solar water heating, including their supply chains, I'd be very surprised if it was under 50,000.

And if we were to include those who're still hanging on in there but severely under employed I reckon it'd double that number.

It's quite shocking the number of times I come across ex solar installers working back as general sparks / roofers / plumbers when we're working on a job with other trades like a new build - I can't actually remember the last time this didn't happen tbh.

Reply to Domestic RHI Delayed Until Spring 2014 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net