• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Domestic Shed Installation in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LGRSol

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Having recently qualified as an electrician, I am beginning to understand the adhocs and curveballs that customers can throw at you.

Last week I went to quote for a shed installation. The shed is approximately 25m from the property and would be a relatively straight forward notifiable job i.e. SWA buried to a safe depth (500mm), 2 way DB in shed for 1 way lighting and ring final sockets.

Now in my limited experience, as far as I am concerned the install would be directly to the main DB and either protected by a 30mA RCD or alternativly using an RCBO. However the customer has said that they really want the source to be from a fused spur out of the ring final circuit in the garage.

Obviously I am fully aware of the regs and in particular 5.7 of Part P. As far as I am concerned, this is an absolute no go, however I am struggling to find if this is stated anywhere in the wiring regs. Before I say this to the customer please could I have some advice / thoughts.

Much appreciated,
Lee

the customer can have the shed supply from the ring if he wants.however, he will be limited to the 13A FCU as to load. far better to take feed from DB, fused appropriately. SWA will not require RCD protection ( unless TT).

Far better than taking a feed from the DB would be glanding into a switch fuse. Ultimately this all depends on what the client is willing to pay for.

As Tel has already pointed out, if the customer wants it from the FCU then he is limited to what he can use in his shed.
Ask them what they intend to plug in... They might want a heater and other stuff..
Does the house CU have RCD protection?

Hi Spoon.

The DB is RCD protected. I'll speak to the customer on monday and find out their intended usage and advise accordingly.

If they do go with the 13A FCU option, do you have any advice on the best way to do the testing the installation. It will be the first time that i've fitted a second DB. I'm assuming testing should be at the original DB (specific breaker)?

Many Thanks

Hi - might be good to do a paper design before any site works. Sizes will vary with loads and MCB etc. Any bonding required etc.

Personally I'd take it from the C/U into a 2 way board, however I would put an rcd local to that board not the board in the house. Problem being that if the end trips in the house it's a nuisance to reset. The SWA will not need rcd protection.

Secondly, why fit a RFC? Just for a 4mm radial

Don't know why anyone would choose to install a ring over a radial.

And make sure the source RFC for the FCU is tickety boo, before you hand them a quote.

And as Buzz said, that 25m run might prove tricky off a RFC.

Do your cable calcs, dont forget max vdrop on lighting etc.

25m run off the ring may prove high ZS values.

Much better job to run a new cable from C.U

Given it will need fused down to a max of 13A, Zs in the shed shouldn't be an issue.

If the likes of a washing machine, tumble dryer and freezer are put in the shed then there will be issues.

Reply to Domestic Shed Installation in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back