Discuss Domestic shower submain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We are installing a new shower, electric towel rail, light and fan in a bathroom. The existing mains board is a old wylex rewirable. Gas and water is 10mm bonding from the MET in the meter cupboard.

The existing mains board is litrelly inaccessiable at the back of a kitchen cupboard and would require multiple brand new units removing to even access, let alone getting a 10mm to for a 9.5kW shower and add RCd protection to existing circuits.

My idea is to run a submain around the outside of the building in SWA into a small cupboard next to the bathroom and have a dedicated board for the bathroom which i can then protect as needed.

However due to no access to where the supply enters the building to mount my switch fuse my only option is to put something in the meter cuoboard.

There is already a smart meter in the cupboard however not ebough room for a 63A switch fuse. There is however ebough room for a small 3 way unit, in which i plan to install a a 100A DP switch disconnector and 63A MCB. The max Zs reading or the B63 60898 will not be exceeded by the submain.

Can anyone see a issue with this or think ill get any comeback by the DNO? Cheers

By existing mains board inaccessible, do you mean that the consumer unit has been built over with kitchen cupboards?
If so you need to start shouting at someone.

By existing mains board inaccessible, do you mean that the consumer unit has been built over with kitchen cupboards?
If so you need to start shouting at someone.

Fuses are accessiable, can only get the them by removing the shelf and getting into the unit. Not practicle at all to start taking about and fitting henleys and switch fuse near.

We are installing a new shower, electric towel rail, light and fan in a bathroom. The existing mains board is a old wylex rewirable. Gas and water is 10mm bonding from the MET in the meter cupboard.

The existing mains board is litrelly inaccessiable at the back of a kitchen cupboard and would require multiple brand new units removing to even access, let alone getting a 10mm to for a 9.5kW shower and add RCd protection to existing circuits.

My idea is to run a submain around the outside of the building in SWA into a small cupboard next to the bathroom and have a dedicated board for the bathroom which i can then protect as needed.

However due to no access to where the supply enters the building to mount my switch fuse my only option is to put something in the meter cuoboard.

There is already a smart meter in the cupboard however not ebough room for a 63A switch fuse. There is however ebough room for a small 3 way unit, in which i plan to install a a 100A DP switch disconnector and 63A MCB. The max Zs reading or the B63 60898 will not be exceeded by the submain.

Can anyone see a issue with this or think ill get any comeback by the DNO? Cheers

The only thing I can say, is that if the existing CU is that inaccessible to the extent you describe, then that alone contravenes BS7671.

My first job would be to relocate the CU to a more accessible position for safety purposes, and ease of operation, as for running the cable around the outside of the building, probably wouldn't contravene any regs, but hardly a professional approach in my opinion.

as for running the cable around the outside of the building, probably wouldn't contravene any regs, but hardly a professional approach in my opinion.
Sorry Pete....Probably wont contravene any regs? Which ones are you thinking it might?
I cant see any wrong at all with an SWA Distribution circuit on the outside of a building if it's properly installed

Not one thought on the electrical hub of the property and they just built a kitchen around it costing who knows how many thousands . . . SOME PEOPLE!

I have no worries about been paid, the builder carrying out the bathroom will pay me even if they await payment. Good workibg relationship with them. My installation will be fully conpliant with BS7671 and an note will be put in the additional notes section about the existing installation. My biggest query about this post is putting a unit in a meter cupboard. I just wanted to provide some backgroubd with my question.

Sorry Pete....Probably wont contravene any regs? Which ones are you thinking it might?
I cant see any wrong at all with an SWA Distribution circuit on the outside of a building if it's properly installed
I have no idea WP, that's why I said it probably wouldn't contravene any regs, and like you I can't see any reason why the SWA couldn't be installed on the exterior of the property
The OP never mentioned in his opening post that there were monetary constraints, to all intents and purposes it sounded to me as though it was his own place he was working on. As Murdoch said if there are money problems from the onset of the job, his next post could in all probability be how do I get my money from this customer, walk away, best option.

Reply to Domestic shower submain in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net