Discuss domestic smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

to be fair to the guy, he is in error in coding smoke detectors, but he has observed a safety issue. what he should do is to inform the client/landlord of his concerns separately to the EICR.

In the same scenario I would just use SELECT's Observations Worthy Of Note Associated With An EICR to record the smoke alarm issue and append the form to the condition report for the property owner's attention.

Attachments

• SELECT - Observations Worthy Of Note.pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 12
The landlord should be well aware of his, not for someone else to tell him of his responsibility for maintaining any safety systems.

Up here in Scotland, the onus for electrical safety in any privately let property lies exclusively with the property owner. They are required to satisfy themselves that the person they have hired to carry-out an EICR on their behalf is competent and qualified to do so. Few ever do. Indeed, I recently lost an EICR to a plumber. I kid you not.

The system we have up here vis a vis ensuring electrical safety in private lets quite clearly isn't fit for the purpose. There are all sorts of muppets doing EICRs in the greater Glasgow area ...... usually for between £40 to £60. Nuff said.

Up here in Scotland, the onus for electrical safety in any privately let property lies exclusively with the property owner. They are required to satisfy themselves that the person they have hired to carry-out an EICR on their behalf is competent and qualified to do so. Few ever do. Indeed, I recently lost an EICR to a plumber. I kid you not.

The system we have up here vis a vis ensuring electrical safety in private lets quite clearly isn't fit for the purpose. There are all sorts of muppets doing EICRs in the greater Glasgow area ...... usually for between £40 to £60. Nuff said.

I am near Dumfries. I built an extension to my cottage (home) a couple of years ago and D&G Building Control said that to meet the Scottish Building Regs I had to have 6 mains/battery networked (interlinked) fire/smoke/heat sensor/alarms around the extension and original cottage. This was to meet the current Scottish Building Regs rather than anything to do with Wiring Regs. So who is meant to police the state/condition of the alarms, then?

So who is meant to police the state/condition of the alarms, then?
You are - they are protecting your family and property!
If the worst happened and you knowingly left the smokes without good backup batteries or circuit dead, you'll be the one to live with the consequences for the rest of your life. Or maybe not.

So they won't come under an EICR unless there is an actual wiring or required electrical test measurement error? Mine are on a separate non-RCD circuit wired using 4 core Prysmian FP200 Gold (with red outer colour).
I was really responding to the original query - should a functional failure they be reported on an EICR if the wiring is correct but a sensor has failed and the test button does not work?
My reading of the rules is that it is the home-resident's responsibility for regular functional checking but that landlords are advised to do periodic checking.

So they won't come under an EICR unless there is an actual wiring or required electrical test measurement error? Mine are on a separate non-RCD circuit wired using 4 core Prysmian FP200 Gold (with red outer colour).
I was really responding to the original query - should a functional failure they be reported on an EICR if the wiring is correct but a sensor has failed and the test button does not work?
My reading of the rules is that it is the home-resident's responsibility for regular functional checking but that landlords are advised to do periodic checking.

There is nothing on the EICR tick-sheet that I can see concerning the inspection and testing of smoke/heat alarms. But in my opinion, there should be. They form part of the installation and should therefore be inspected and tested during an EICR. For all the time it takes, I will inspect and test alarms during an EICR and notify the homeowner of any defects found via SELECT's Observations Worthy Of Note Associated With An EICR form.

I recently came across alarms that were seven years beyond their expiry date that would have otherwise remained unnoticed had I not checked.

Attachments

• SELECT - Observations Worthy Of Note.pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 3

Reply to domestic smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock