Discuss Domestic to commercial/industrial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chris

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i currently work for a social housing company who i started and completed my apprenticeship with (now been qualified for 2 years). Im aged 23 and although i enjoy working for this company i feel limited in experience. Almost all of the work is domestic works (house re wires, flats and responsive repairs, and im hungry for experience in commercial and industrial environments. I have gained a lot of experience working with galvanized conduit but have only sparingly got my hands on metal trunking and tray, my only problem is most jobs i come across say they require someone with experience in commercial/industrial works. So i was wondering how hard is the transition to make, and has anyone got any advice on how to go about it? Thanks.

go for it, it's a steep learning curve from domestic, but far more rewarding.you generally find , esp. with industrial, that installations are done more for efficiency and reliable performance, than the domestic "get it done as cheap as possible as long as it works". also, proper access equipment is utilised. no crawling on knees under floors, no balancing on flimsy steps, none of this get it done for tonight, the out-laws are coming for a visit,proper safety measures used, the list goes on.

Jump feet first! I was in this exact situation after I had qualified, I moved to a firm who covered more industrial work and went from there. The process is the same the cables are just bigger and heavier, most blokes I’ve worked with don’t expect you to know everything so just ask and be honest.

I left and started subbing for a bit and now do work for a firm who does commercial stuff, don’t listen to the naysayers who think Commercial and Industrial are harder it’s all the same. BMS and PLC’s aren’t that difficult either, as long as you can follow drawings your fine. Ow and get used to a numbers pencil as everything is marked up better in these areas.

Good luck

go for it, it's a steep learning curve from domestic, but far more rewarding.you generally find , esp. with industrial, that installations are done more for efficiency and reliable performance, than the domestic "get it done as cheap as possible as long as it works". also, proper access equipment is utilised. no crawling on knees under floors, no balancing on flimsy steps, none of this get it done for tonight, the out-laws are coming for a visit,proper safety measures used, the list goes on.
It sounds like a more professional world which im up for, i just need to find a company near merseyside that is willing to take me with little experience, thanks!

If you liked meccano as a child go for it, much better working on industrial sites then in domestics and you could end up in some odd places as back in the day I ended up in the Albert and Victoria Museum, British Library, Heathrow Airport and a Shell Fuel Depot for Heathrow.

When you get bored move to a maintenance company like Mitie looking after the completed sites and work your way up.

the only real difference is the materials and shift lengths, get used to working 12 hours a day, walking miles to the container to get a few pishy little washers, designated smoking areas, also miles from the actual site in some ive worked at

If you liked meccano as a child go for it, much better working on industrial sites then in domestics and you could end up in some odd places as back in the day I ended up in the Albert and Victoria Museum, British Library, Heathrow Airport and a Shell Fuel Depot for Heathrow.

When you get bored move to a maintenance company like Mitie looking after the completed sites and work your way up.

I see we're playing "top trumps" again.

OK I'll have a go. I see your Pub in East London, (unless you meant The V&A, which is an easy mistake for a misogynist to make). And raise you AWE Aldermaston.

Depends on the situation - in most factories "production comes first" - you'll be instructed by the (electrically unskilled) production manager that the machine has to be running by xyz then any problems are countered with "uh huh, uh huh, couldn't you just make it work, even if it's just temporary?"

the only real difference is the materials and shift lengths, get used to working 12 hours a day, walking miles to the container to get a few pishy little washers, designated smoking areas, also miles from the actual site in some ive worked at
Don't forget not seeing any natural light all week.

I see we're playing "top trumps" again.

OK I'll have a go. I see your Pub in East London, (unless you meant The V&A, which is an easy mistake for a misogynist to make). And raise you AWE Aldermaston.
I meant the one whilst wondering around in the basement I open the door to a store room and see the boots from the Who's Tommy,,,,,,,,

Reply to Domestic to commercial/industrial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net