Discuss Domestic Visual Condition Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning All

I have seen a few post on these now but they are all from a few years ago, have peoples views changed on these? are they worth the paper they are written on? should we stay clear of them?

NIC are as ever very CLEAR on this.

I would stay clear of them.
How can you determine the condition of a circuit without proper testing?

Not worth ----. I always tell landlords this is something they can do themselves.
I'd rather that than sell them a bit of paper that does not give any indication of the condition of the installation.

What does the NIC say ?

Morning All

I have seen a few post on these now but they are all from a few years ago, have peoples views changed on these? are they worth the paper they are written on? should we stay clear of them?

NIC are as ever very CLEAR on this.
The NICEIC don't make the rules MK they just think they do. The only thing they are clear on is when to collect the next years subscription.

I think there is a place for them. For instance the other day I was called to a kitchen where the client was not too sure about the safety of the new wiring. They asked me to look and give an opinion on the installation. In this case I used a visual inspection form as it is a convenient way of conveying my findings without a full on EICR. It is cheaper for the client and formalises deficiencies that are apparent before even testing. Although I did do a couple of test, RCD and Zs just to assay if the installation was immediately dangerous.

Thanks all for the replies, how would it stand if something were to happen? (someone gets a shock) if you completed this for landlords, as you have no test results for anything

I thought the nic did away with them, but I saw one that had been done very recently with a nic logo on it.

I do carry out visual reports, and as per Vorti's post above I always carry out a few loop tests and RCD tests and do a Ze.

I think they have a place, as they can highlight a lot of issues. I do make it clear that they are not an ''officially' recognised report, and that they are no substitute for a full test.

Somwe carry out about 100 of these every year. They should only be used, in my opinion, for properties in which that are to be abused or heavily used.

For example there is no need to carry out a yearly visual inspection in a standard property that the owner is living in. Chances are the property is well looked after.

However a rental property with someone high risk or with mental health issues living in may benifit from a yearly visual inspection or a heavily used storage area with minimal supervision.

If someone were to ask me to conduct only a visual inspection of an installation, my first thoughts would be ‘what are they trying to hide’.

I wouldn't think that myself. Joe public is generally ignorant of what's what, they tend to just see the cost aspect.
I view it as an tool to give a rough idea as to the state of the install. If the inspection part comes back with loads of issues, or if Zs's are terrible etc then I would suggest that it would be wise to carry out the remaining parts of a full EICR i.e. the cct testing.

As far as I am aware, the Visual Inspection forms have no place to record test results for Zs, or any other results?
I also note that most seem to make reference to BS7671, as if to say the report complies in some way?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Domestic Visual Condition Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net