Discuss Domestic - What do you normally use? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If doing a domestic rewire, refurb or additions - what do you normally use to protect the cable?

No option for timber frame houses that are plaster boarded, tape and filled.

I’ve voted oval as you say rewire. New build that’s traditional build then capping.
Perfect, yep was being specific to rewires rather than new build.

No option for timber frame houses that are plaster boarded, tape and filled.
Nope, not really bothered about those.

depends on the build type ............. and what I have to hand - but normally capping
Thanks.

Capping on bare walls, round conduit if it's chopping in on existing walls.
Thanks.

Wots this all about 123? :)
Shear curiosity coming from the other thread about capping tbh. You are curious about what we use, a couple of posts have made me more curious about what you guys use. Thought a poll would be easier than a mountain of questions, and with most things there are some good responses with information as well.
Will it change how I do things - not likely. Will I learn something from it, possibly.

Read my post again ....
The intent of this poll/thread is not for what you would do on new builds or extensions where you are looking at block walls to start from. It's for what you would use on the rewire/refurb type of jobs...where cables will need chased in regardless of the job being in Northern Ireland/Scotland/Wales/England.

The intent of this poll/thread is not for what you would do on new builds or extensions where you are looking at block walls to start from. It's for what you would use on the rewire/refurb type of jobs...where cables will need chased in regardless of the job being in Northern Ireland/Scotland/Wales/England.

Where does my post say about new builds ...... it doesn’t

Stud walls appear in old buildings too ...

Shear curiosity coming from the other thread about capping tbh. You are curious about what we use, a couple of posts have made me more curious about what you guys use. Thought a poll would be easier than a mountain of questions, and with most things there are some good responses with information as well.
Will it change how I do things - not likely. Will I learn something from it, possibly.

Your not going to go commando 123 :)

Where does my post say about new builds ...... it doesn’t

Stud walls appear in old buildings too ...
Forgot to account for the fact there is always gonna be one of those awkward people.

No idea why anyone would use pvc capping on a stud wall mind, each to their own I guess.

Forgot to account for the fact there is always gonna be one of those awkward people.

No idea why anyone would use pvc capping on a stud wall mind, each to their own I guess.

Not being awkward ..... refurbish and rewire come in all shapes and sizes, plus very different build types ......

Not being awkward ..... refurbish and rewire come in all shapes and sizes, plus very different build types ......
Ok, I'm intrigued as to how you do each differently then.

Be it all types of brick from cinder block to breeze block to red brick to the pre cast houses...I'll use round conduit. So mine don't tend to vary at all, even in new builds it would be the same. Every now and again I'd use a length of oval conduit (can't think of the last time I did and what it was for though). I have more recently used 32mm waste pipe recessed into the wall for a wall mounted TV install with the TV equipment on a unit below.

for a rewire then conduit, usually round, if wall is of a really hard material that makes chasing difficult then i may use oval conduit as it requires a little less depth.

Reply to Domestic - What do you normally use? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock