Discuss Domestic Wiring Problems - Advice Needed Please! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

billyh42

Hi

First of all I am not an electrician!

When using power tools recently I have been getting shocks from almost everything!

I bought a small 3 pin 240v plug-in tester to attempt to see if this would show that there was no earth!

What this did show was that I have reverse polarity. Further investigation at the consumer unit with a meter confirmed that the supply going into the consumer unit is in fact reversed.

Meter readings are 0v between live and earth, 238v between neutral and earth & 238v between live and neutral.

Speaking to an electrician at work about the shocks (before I knew about the reverse polarity), he said that it wouldn't do any harm to add an earth rod and connect it back to an earth on a socket and see if that made any difference. I have done this and so far I have not had any further shocks. However the earth rod seems to get very hot. Is this normal or an indication of another fault. Could it be that the cable I have connected it to the socket with isn't thick enough and the heat is due to high resistance?

Going back to the reverse polarity, is this a simple matter of having my supplier, Scottish Power, reverse the connections into the consumer unit? Wiring appears to be supply-main fuse-meter-consumer unit. I cannot see any sign of an earth coming in from outside.

Is this dangerous? Does this mean that any fuses will be innefective as they are all connected in the live circuit? Is Scottish Power responsible for correcting this or can any electrician do this?

Finally is there a simple laymans test to check earthing?

Any advice appreciated!

This is one of those times where I have to say get an electrician in. These problems need to be addressed by a professional that can inspect and test to locate all the problems and rectify them. Not something that you should be poking around with.

Hi Murdoch

I'm in Carluke, Lanarkshire.

That will be the plan, but in my experience of dealing with tradesmen it's best to have an idea what the problem is first to avoid being charged for unecessary work!

I have already spoken to various electricians but I get a different answer each time! I was hoping that this forum would reach a few more people and give me more of an idea!

All I need to know at this stage is whether there's any danger from the reverse polarity or from the earth rod heating up.

Last edited by a moderator:
So instead of spending £50+ for some professional advice, you'd rather pick our brains and maybe endanger yourself and your family.

If you do have reversed polarity it needs sorting.

Madness.

So instead of spending £50+ for some professional advice, you'd rather pick our brains

Sorry but I thought that that was the purpose of an online forum - to get advice.

It wouldn't be much use if every answer was get an electrician in would it? ;-)

I would contact you DNO that is the first step and tell them that you think you may have reverse polarity coming into you home.

I think rather than reverse polarity you may have a fault condition there.

The Polarity test is required to verify that all single-pole switches and PROTECTIVE devices are in the line conductor only and that all sockets are correctly connected.

From reading the above I am sure you realise that this means that the situation you have is potentially lethal.

Sorry but I thought that that was the purpose of an online forum - to get advice.

It wouldn't be much use if every answer was get an electrician in would it? ;-)

Murdoch is correct you should get an electrician in as if we gave advice and you or your family got seriously injuried who would get the blame??????

DNO's problem, Unless you ve been doing DIY, Cos then they bend you over and make you pay!!
And like most things you cant tell whats wrong with it til you look at it/test it.
If your getting a shock of any kind get a sparky in. I personnaly value my life more then say £50 for a call out charge.
Its not a big scam for us to get work, Its so you dont die!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think rather than reverse polarity you may have a fault condition there.

Hi Malcolm

I do have reverse polarity. My plug in tester show this and it seems to be confirmed by my meter readings. What I need to know is if it's dangerous and if Scottish Power should be sorting it.

I have taken a meter reading where the supply comes from the meter to the consumer unit and it's 238v between the cable marked as neutral and earth/ 0v between the cable marked as live and earth. I can't test the cables coming from the main fuse or into the electricity meter.

These cables are plain grey in colour but have had red and black tags added - so I'm thinking that perhaps Scottish Power have made a mistake when they fitted the meter?

Other forums suggest that it's a simple matter of reversing these cables where they enter the consumer unit - this would make sense, but who is responsible for doing this? Should Scottish Power be doing this for free?

Sorry but I thought that that was the purpose of an online forum - to get advice.It wouldn't be much use if every answer was get an electrician in would it? ;-)
Billy we help people like yourself every day but some things can not be tackled by a none qualified person, no disrespect. Going by what you have told us you have a few serious problems, if the tails are reversed you therefore have no fuse protection on the live conductor on any of your circuits! Earth rod is always hot! These things need to be investigated and sorted out quick. Giving advice on some electrical problems is fine but not when the problems are as live threatening as yours. Don't touch it, let the pro's handle this one.

I have read many posts on here and seen Joe Public guided through minor issues. This however is not a minor issue and requires the expertise of a professional which is why you are being advised to call an Electrician in.

If it's just a case of swapping the tails in the consumer unit then that will be 50 quid very well spent.

Not sure why you expected the tester to show that you had no earth because you are getting shocks? It's more likely that you have a short to earth somewhere (or a neutral earth reversal somewhere (in your case live/earth swapped if the polarity is reversed!!!)).

If you have reversed polarity that will mean all of your devices are still live when they have supposedly been switched off (the switches are normally installed in the live side only).

Reply to Domestic Wiring Problems - Advice Needed Please! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net