Discuss dommestic smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

welsh spark

HI all,
I was just wondering i have two smoke alarms to fit one upstairs one downstairs wich one would you fit downstairs optical or inonisation its a domestic premmises im re wiring i should really know the answer on this one as i have done loads of these im just having a blonde moment thanks Alan:confused:

No not a reg as i know of,just common sense:rolleyes:

Ionisation alarms are more prone to nuisance alarming so i wouldnt put one near a kitchen;)

Some poeple/companies use optical for up and down mainly escape routes but this is more expensive.
Every firm i have worked for have allways specified optical down,ionisation up.at the end of the day its down to the designer and his/her take on things:D

Take a look at the link,note it doesnt reccomend IONISATION in hallways.

Aico Ltd

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Sparky Paul, this is what I've always done. The Aico booklet you can order online is quite excellent. It's also listed as a 'Top Product' for 2009 in this month's Professional Electrician magazine. Takes the guessing away.

I have just fitted two aico smoke alarms if you look in the O S G it tells you all what you need to know in relation to the regs

Hi

Its common practice to fit optical downstairs and ionisation upstairs due to the sensitivity activation rates you want the quickest activation alarm next to your bedroom. But ionisation cost a little more and give you more false alarms. If money not a problem fit multi sensors, if call outs and false alarms are a problem fit two optical units, depending on layout of properties. Open plan properties a mixture of heat and optical may be better. Location is the key also not to close to kitchens unless heat and not too close to bathrooms and remember 300mm from walls and light fittings.

Regards

The real answer is that you fit smoke alarms were the fire risk would produce smoke, and heat rise alarms where there is normally smoke (or gassious mixtures) and the fire risk can be detected by heat rise. In simple terms, smoke detectors in halls, landings, bedrooms, living rooms et, but heat rise in locations like kitchens, or just outside kitchens so the burnt toas does not set them off.

Hi,
I recently fitted a similar system.
It was an Optical multisensor amoke alarm unit, one on the downstairs landing and one on the upstairs landing. Also fitted a heat alarmin the kitchen.
As the alarms were not linked via wiring system, I used the radio links on all three. Therefore all regs were covered.
Customer happy and safe ( although not cheap ).
Do you guys think I went over the top ?? i dont think so, but would you have done the same ?
Sav

Hi,
I recently fitted a similar system.
It was an Optical multisensor amoke alarm unit, one on the downstairs landing and one on the upstairs landing. Also fitted a heat alarmin the kitchen.
As the alarms were not linked via wiring system, I used the radio links on all three. Therefore all regs were covered.
Customer happy and safe ( although not cheap ).
Do you guys think I went over the top ?? i dont think so, but would you have done the same ?
Sav

Nope, think you're bang on Sav, that's what I would have done. For a new build it's essential anyway. The only choice really is whether to use radio links or cabled.

Safety first!

As far as I'm aware if you fit smoke alarms in a dwelling they now have to comply with the British standard. This states you must have a heat detector in the kitchen and also a detector in the most commonly inhabited room, generally the lounge. These are in addition to the usual hall and landing setup.

HI all,
I was just wondering i have two smoke alarms to fit one upstairs one downstairs wich one would you fit downstairs optical or inonisation its a domestic premmises im re wiring i should really know the answer on this one as i have done loads of these im just having a blonde moment thanks Alan:confused:
I would install a optical detector downstairs as an ionisation detector would go off with the slightst bit of smoke!! I only know this as i had my first nic eic inspection passed ok, the assesor did however mention about what smoke detectors i was going to install and he did recomend an optical downstairs. hope this helps mate

Reply to dommestic smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net