Discuss Dont you just love RCDs !! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm after a crabtree starbreaker D6 MCB.... any ideas please ? Tried a few wholesalers that I use with no joy

Cheers Sy

Not sure whats going on with the title of my post - "Dont you just love RCDs!!" (was a previous posts title) Should read "Crabtree Starbreaker MCB"

Last edited:
Thanks Mogga no joy there just B or C... starting to have my doubts wether they actually made a 'D' Type ?

I'm after a crabtree starbreaker D6 MCB.... any ideas please ? Tried a few wholesalers that I use with no joy

Cheers Sy

Not sure whats going on with the title of my post - "Dont you just love RCDs!!" (was a previous posts title) Should read "Crabtree Starbreaker MCB"

Crabtree don't do a Type D MCB for their domestic Starbreaker or Loadstar boards. Only Types B and C available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crabtree don't do a Type D MCB for their domestic Starbreaker or Loadstar boards. Only Types B and C available.

Yeah Just seen that on there website, great...... right plan B

This is going to work out to be an expensive light fitting for my customer.

Basically he's brought some fancy fitting with a transformer in it, which keeps tripping the MCB - he's read the fitting instructions further and it states requires a type 'D' mcb. Thats a new one for me.

So now looks like I'm going to have to split tails a separate mini cu just to do re-do the lights on a 'D' :dizzy2:

But haven't seen many 'D' types for domestic CU's ???

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
just out of interest as well......whats the length of run from the origin of supply to the last point on this circuit?....

Ummm off the top of head... guess-timate would be 30-50 meters (large 5 bed house / down stairs lighting circuit)

Whys that then, what you thinking ?

Last edited:
max. Zs on a type D is about 1.5 ohms.. iv'e got a couple of starbreakers, think thy're type B though. why do you want a type D for lighting?

Last edited:
Glenn,
Why would he have to watch his Zs ?, surely this circuit would still have to have 30mA RCD protection if he is making changes to the OCPD ?

BTW Iam aware of the lower Zs required for D type MCB's.

Just asking

Last edited:
Glenn,
Why would he have to watch his Zs ?, surely this circuit would still have to have 30mA RCD protection if he is making changes to the OCPD ?

BTW Iam aware of the lower Zs required for D type MCB's.

Just asking
well do you think it prudent to rely on an RCD alone?....like a TT system?.....thats whats being advocated here.....

well do you think it prudent to rely on an RCD alone?....like a TT system?.....thats whats being advocated here.....

Not at all,

he is going to be no where near the much criticised magic 200 ohm (1667 ohm) number though is he ?

Last edited:
the thing here as well is short circuit...

A 6A B type or D type is still 6A regardless, only the max Zs has changed for the disconnection time, if it complied for a B-type before then it still complies now in this respect (Short circuit).

if his Zs is say 2 ohms (for instance) then his 30mA RCD will mitigate this, not rely soley on RCD protection.

Last edited:

Reply to Dont you just love RCDs !! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock