Discuss Don't you just love the SNP...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Actually no, a bit of independent thought is what I'm trying to encourage - someone previously commented that tax spending and the associated implications isnt rocket science - it certainly isn't, its far more complex than making things go bang.

I'm not going to attempt to Google up a killer "fact" to win the point, all I'm asking is for folks who don't have a full understanding, and those who form their opinions based on snapshot articles and headlines to do a little reading around the topic, in much the same manner as you would expect to do to be able to fully master your trade.

An independent would give a balanced argument so you fail on that point

As for facts I suggest you take some of your own advice and read up and look a bit deeper into the issues

Says the man from Wigan.

Can we agree that all these words are rather pointless ?

As are your posts little fact and little substance by an independent nationalist if there is such a thing

I for one would have given Scotland independence if only to stop the incessant bickering and whinging from north of the border

The problem is that Salmond/ Sturgeon partnership wanted a pseudo independence that would be under the terms dictated by the SNP to the rest of the UK and also had some misguided assumption that they had some clout with the EU and the rest of the world

I would suggest if you want real views get out and about and see what people in other countries think not just the UK

Last edited:
So what other political party supports independence in Scotland or are you one of these people who sits on the fence spoiling for an argument decrying the sources of information used by others while supplying no credible sources of your own

Off the top of my head, The Scottish Greens, SSP, Solidarity, Not to mention other bodies and individuals, for example, The Independence Commission, a multi-partisan grouping set up to "Firstly, to create a forum for those of all political persuasions and none who support independence; and secondly, to be a national catalyst for Scottish independence."[SUP][[/SUP] Then there were National Collective, a group of pro-independence artists, Radical Independence Campaign, a group further to the left than the mainstream of independence supporters. There was also Business for Scotland, whose name tells you all you need to know. On top of that, there grew a Consititutional Convention, whose main aim was to draft and champion a wirtten constitution, which for me can be no bad thing. It was envisaged as a unicameral democracy, not a republic as one ignoramus has stated so far. In fact, although there was a definite republican element within the supporters of independence, it was a relatively small faction and keeping the Queen as head of state was always likely to be the preferred option, at least in the medium term. What really characterised the campaign for me, though, the thing which swayed me from being anti- (yes folks) to pro-independence was the adult fashion in which the SNP had learned to conduct itself. I had previously viewed them as disruptive, not without cause, but Alex salmond's second term as leader transformed them into a party which the people decided they could trust. Having served one hair raising term in minoirty government. they were then elected outright and have served ever since.

Now, the referendum campaign, to the neutral, must have looked as if nobody believed that Scotland could manage its own affairs. "Too small, too poor, too stupid" became the battle cry of Bitter Together. The media, with only one singular exeception (Sunday Herald) adopted the BT party line, and thsi includes BBC Scotland. At the last minute, Brown managed to persuade the leaders of the major parties to cobble together The Vow, which may or may not have swayed the vote. Who knows? What I do know is this; for the first time in my life, I was involved in a political campaign which felt right. We went from, a few months before the referendum, being 20 and more points behind in the polls to, with very little time left, a slender lead in a couple of them. In the end, the margin was narrow, but we attempted, having dried the tears to accept the defeat with grace. There was a sting in the Unionist tail though. A peaceful celebration of having taken part in something good was hijacked by unionist thugs wielding EDL, SDL, National Front, BNP, Orange Lodge, Rangers FC and other regalia. Two young women were beaten and their Saltire taken and burnt. Gays, Scots, anyone who didn't fit their hateful profile were attacked and beaten, flares thrown and passers-by terrorised. Still, the next day, Alex salmond did the right thing in his usual dignified manner and Scotland moved on.

Moving on, though, does not mean the dream died. Mine never will. If id doesn't happen during my lifetime, my sons won't stop working towards independence, and they have every right so to do, and none of you have any right to say otherwise, at least not if you want to go on keeping up the pretence of democracy.

Shows how deaf the Scots have become

I give you the OP. Neither Sean nor I started this thread.

"From the BBC

"New "English votes for English laws" rules have been implemented in the House of Commons for the first time.Conservative MPs cheered as English and Welsh members prepared to give their consent to parts of the Housing and Planning Bill that only apply to their constituencies.

Housing Minister Brandon Lewis said he was "very proud" to be implementing the reforms.

But the SNP said the changes were "driving Scotland out of the door".

I really don't get the SNP.

Tony Blair only got the initial tuition charges through for English and Welsh students with the votes of the Scottish Labour MP's - and with this bill anyone from the EU can study in Scotland for free EXCEPT the English and Welsh.

And the SNP have gone VERY quiet about independence since the crash in the oil price!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35295404 "

Off the top of my head, The Scottish Greens, SSP, Solidarity, Not to mention other bodies and individuals, for example, The Independence Commission, a multi-partisan grouping set up to "Firstly, to create a forum for those of all political persuasions and none who support independence; and secondly, to be a national catalyst for Scottish independence."[SUP][[/SUP] Then there were National Collective, a group of pro-independence artists, Radical Independence Campaign, a group further to the left than the mainstream of independence supporters. There was also Business for Scotland, whose name tells you all you need to know. On top of that, there grew a Consititutional Convention, whose main aim was to draft and champion a wirtten constitution, which for me can be no bad thing. It was envisaged as a unicameral democracy, not a republic as one ignoramus has stated so far. In fact, although there was a definite republican element within the supporters of independence, it was a relatively small faction and keeping the Queen as head of state was always likely to be the preferred option, at least in the medium term. What really characterised the campaign for me, though, the thing which swayed me from being anti- (yes folks) to pro-independence was the adult fashion in which the SNP had learned to conduct itself. I had previously viewed them as disruptive, not without cause, but Alex salmond's second term as leader transformed them into a party which the people decided they could trust. Having served one hair raising term in minoirty government. they were then elected outright and have served ever since.

So a bunch of very very small minority parties driven by the thought that they would get some recognition if the independence vote won the day

The SNP have only become what they are peddling a dream that appeals to a number of Scottish people the sooner they deliver the better

Now, the referendum campaign, to the neutral, must have looked as if nobody believed that Scotland could manage its own affairs. "Too small, too poor, too stupid" became the battle cry of Bitter Together. The media, with only one singular exeception (Sunday Herald) adopted the BT party line, and thsi includes BBC Scotland. At the last minute, Brown managed to persuade the leaders of the major parties to cobble together The Vow, which may or may not have swayed the vote. Who knows? What I do know is this; for the first time in my life, I was involved in a political campaign which felt right. We went from, a few months before the referendum, being 20 and more points behind in the polls to, with very little time left, a slender lead in a couple of them. In the end, the margin was narrow, but we attempted, having dried the tears to accept the defeat with grace. There was a sting in the Unionist tail though. A peaceful celebration of having taken part in something good was hijacked by unionist thugs wielding EDL, SDL, National Front, BNP, Orange Lodge, Rangers FC and other regalia. Two young women were beaten and their Saltire taken and burnt. Gays, Scots, anyone who didn't fit their hateful profile were attacked and beaten, flares thrown and passers-by terrorised. Still, the next day, Alex salmond did the right thing in his usual dignified manner and Scotland moved on.

Not a chance of that ever happening

Moving on, though, does not mean the dream died. Mine never will. If id doesn't happen during my lifetime, my sons won't stop working towards independence, and they have every right so to do, and none of you have any right to say otherwise, at least not if you want to go on keeping up the pretence of democracy.

So you will continue to brow beat people. May be the manifesto should be "We will continue to vote on independence until the electorate gets it right"

So a bunch of very very small minority parties driven by the thought that they would get some recognition if the independence vote won the day

The SNP have only become what they are peddling a dream that appeals to a number of Scottish people the sooner they deliver the better

Not a chance of that ever happening

So you will continue to brow beat people. May be the manifesto should be "We will continue to vote on independence until the electorate gets it right"

Not entirely sure how you define my posts as browbeating, but it takes all sorts, I suppose. As far as the parties supporting independence are concrened, I simply answered a question as asked.

Not really into politics as they are all a bunch of liars, but can someone just explain to me what all the hassle is about. It just sounds like a young couple arguing cause one of them wants to break up and the other is saying that they will never meet anyone as good as them again......
If Scotland wants to be independent then what's the problem? I have never understood the dislike between England and Scotland. It's mainly about football, when you hear the Scottish wanting anyone but the English to win and the English wanting anyone but the Scottish to win. Both groups need a good smack....

Not entirely sure how you define my posts as browbeating, but it takes all sorts, I suppose. As far as the parties supporting independence are concrened, I simply answered a question as asked.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by YoungScud

How many referendums do you think it will take to get what you want and at what cost

Not really into politics as they are all a bunch of liars, but can someone just explain to me what all the hassle is about. It just sounds like a young couple arguing cause one of them wants to break up and the other is saying that they will never meet anyone as good as them again......
If Scotland wants to be independent then what's the problem? I have never understood the dislike between England and Scotland. It's mainly about football, when you hear the Scottish wanting anyone but the English to win and the English wanting anyone but the Scottish to win. Both groups need a good smack....

The dislike is between Scotland and England and it is not just football that causes the animosity from the north

The dislike is between Scotland and England and it is not just football that causes the animosity from the north

The animosity is both ways mate, not just from the north.

Scud welcome back son missed you.

Wow we have now brought Sectarianism into it...............whew we have moved on here

I take your the Green side of the force son

Thanks for the welcome Malcolm. I'm not sure at which stage I introduced sectarianism. I'm going to take a stab and guess you're referring to the Rangers gear. Nothing to do with sectarianism, at least not for me. No, it was more about what I personally witnessed in George Square and Buchanan St. I don't know how much you know about the small handful of Rangers supporters who are still sectarian, but they're dwindling,which is to be expected of those not at the top of the intellectual tree. Nevertheless, the sky blue was well represented that night. Given your average thug's knowledge of history, a loose grasp of who King Billy was and what his role in British history was, it's not shocking.

Edit: Oh, and yes, I'm probably on the green side, or rather the Greens side. I actually do have a fondness for the Scottish Greens. Before you say anything, yes I did get the reference, but it's frankly a silly assumption. Not being a Rangers fan, apparently surprisingly, doesn't make you a Celtic supporter. If I had to pick a team, it'd be Beith Juniors until the day I die, but I'm really a rugby fan. Don't have much time for football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Don't you just love the SNP...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock