Discuss Door bell problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bright.Spark

I have just been given the job to install a doorbell for my girlfriends mum. The problem is she has a PVC door frame where she wants the doorbell mounted. Can I drill and fix a door bell in place on the doorframe? Also can I drill through the frame at different levels and fish the cable down the frame?
Sorry its hard to explain. Any help will be appreciated, thanks guys.

I have just been given the job to install a doorbell for my girlfriends mum. The problem is she has a PVC door frame where she wants the doorbell mounted. Can I drill and fix a door bell in place on the doorframe? Also can I drill through the frame at different levels and fish the cable down the frame?
Sorry its hard to explain. Any help will be appreciated, thanks guys.

Yep you can on most PVC doors BUT it'll void the 5 (or whatever) year warranty. This is the reason alot of security installers now use stick on contacts for PVC doors.

Jim

Get one of these: Friedland Evo Wire Free Chime Kit 50m - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

I have had one for a few years now with no problems, also good if you are in the back garden as the reciever works to 50m away.

With wireless technology, wired doorbells have no real advantage now a days.

I would buy a wireless doorbell but her nan has already chose the one she wants. Its a right pain. so basically I can drill at two different levels and fish between but it will cancel who warranty on the doors?

I dont think a door warranty is of great importance, unless it is brand new drill away tilll your heartr is content :)

I suggest you show her the wireless range and ask her to choose a different one, I would'nt want to start fishing through the door frame

Just had a new pvc door fitted i put the bell push on the brickwork beside it. Did flush the alarm contact in though, always do at work.

You can get them built in to the doors and windows, I asked about them when I had the doors and windows changed.
The guy (who i've done work with) installing them said it would probably double the quote, so I decided not to bother and buy a 79p stick on contact!

Jim

Reply to Door bell problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock