Discuss Dorman Smith loadmaster breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Replaced an old TP&N Dorman Smith DB the other week there with a nice shiny new one, So being a nosy sod and wondering why old dorman smith breakers don’t ever seem to trip I decided to drill out the rivets and have a peek inside.
All I can say is no wonder they never trip:eek: there is no coil inside to trip it instantaneously in the event of a short circuit! they only protection they provide is via a (quite hefty) copper strip so really only an overload or a fault of epic proportions is ever going to trip these bad boys.
Pics to follow once I drill out the rivets and carefully dismantle another the first one is in about a million pieces on my desk:rolleyes: i drilled out a modern breaker proteus side by side for comparison that too is in a million pieces but I have lots more and I’ll drill them out and post pics for comparison.

Dorman Smith Loadmaster ... have always said these new breakers have nothing on the old dormy smiths ... no wonder haha.

Look forward to the pics!

P.S I have about 20 loadmasters all different breaker sizes brand new unboxed, when I saw this thread title I thought I was going to make a few quid haha

Was it a Type 3 or Type 4. If no longer legible you can tell them apart as the Type 4 has ridges either side of the switch toggle whereas the Type 3 is smooth.

Was it a Type 3 or Type 4. If no longer legible you can tell them apart as the Type 4 has ridges either side of the switch toggle whereas the Type 3 is smooth.
Can’t remember at the moment will have a look I’ve left them in the office and haven’t had a chance to get back there today hectic is not the word :rolleyes:

Reply to Dorman Smith loadmaster breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net