Discuss Double batten school type flourescent replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Any suggestions as to a good looking (in a modern building) retrofit for a double flourescent light fitting, the current lights are similar to a Knightsbridge 2 as below. Have converted some of the below to LED which I think is the most cost effective solution but interested if anyone has refitted an office or similar with a decent LED alternative?
60596_01.jpg

Wow not seen them for a while, what a pain in the butt they used to be..
Plastic gloves, finnicky covers, crap falling everywhere, ahh the good old days..

I would be replacing them for flat LED panels, the prices have dropped so much that it’s not worth messing about trying to convert fittings..

To add to Charlies comment,

If you have one to do then anything that looks good but be prepared to fill holes and paint. If it's not scotch marks from the ballasts then it's hammer rash from previous fitter trying to find timber. Those things can hide a multitude of sins.

I've swapped out a lot of these, and if you are doing so it pays to get a fitting with a much bigger foot print than the standard LED batten.

LED Solutions COM005-REX | 43W LED Surface Linear Fitting 4640lm 5ft White | Rexeluk - https://www.rexel.co.uk/uki/root-category/Lighting/Light-Fittings/Indoor-Surface-%26-Suspended-Lights/43W-LED-Surface-Linear-Fitting-4640lm-5ft-White/p/2501003653/?isPaginationRequest=true

These look good and cover a lot, may have to touch up round the edges.

Off the top of my head they're £70-80 for a 5' fitting.

Denmans are doing KSR battens for 27 quids. Nice high lumens you can cut down on the old fluors. If it is a suspended ceiling I would consider 600 x 600 LED panels some great bargains out there. I normally quote £80 per light replaced for LED panels. Had a lot of problems with Eterna though, so tend to go KSR where the budget will allow.

Also, not sure about mainland uk but over here the government give out green energy loans..
I had a business customer who got a 20k loan which they paid back from the savings made in electricity..
I find it a great incentive for talking customers into going ahead with jobs

I’m current getting Ansell 600x600 for £25..
There is some really poor/cheap ones out there with sub standard drivers that are under rated.. over heating and melting..
Will post some pics up next week from a job where I have condemned loads that were supplied by one of the main wholesalers.. the fan is running and the poo is about to be thrown

There is some really poor/cheap ones out there with sub standard drivers that are under rated.. over heating and melting..
Will post some pics up next week from a job where I have condemned loads that were supplied by one of the main wholesalers.. the fan is running and the poo is about to be thrown

Had a fun one last year, had to replace nearly 400 all were yellowing at the edges and approx 10% were developing shadows.

Fair play the recognised wholesaler ponied up for replacements plus fitting. bonus for us as we got paid twice, well we workred twice also but got two jobs out of it.

I don't think the OP has a suspended ceiling to put the panels in.

These are my weapon of choice

Ansell Lighting - http://www.anselluk.com/en/product/AGELED

I remember one time as an apprentice my mentor buying a really poor quality light fitting called Galaxy.

The were so poor the company had to re-brand itself as something else

Reply to Double batten school type flourescent replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net