Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Double check for Elecsa assessment job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. hutch6447

hutch6447 Regular EF Member

Hi all ran supply to outdoor garage as this is being assessed just want to double check.

Main consumer Board 32 amp RCBO ran on 4mm SWA to the garage then onto the garage consumer unit.

Ran overhead but less then 3 metres length between house and entry point at garage, so just ran it direct.

Running into the garage consumer got the SWA on a banjo connection then going on to power the 30mA rcd.

MCB's in garage are 1 x 20A 1 x 6A

Plug sockets Radial ran on 2.5/1.5

Lights ran on Radial 1.5/1.0

Ran all test's and they were well inside limits BS 7671

2. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

Table 4b osg (red one!) column 5 cable height?

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    and cable support. catenary?

4. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    What's the earthing system at the origin?

If you have an RCD at the garage end, you won't have discrimination between that and the RCBO. Do you need an RCBO (because of cable installation method)? Can you replace it with an MCB?

As mharries says, what height? How have you supported this cable?

The final circuits in the garage sound OK.

5. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

Less than 3m span so therefore no additional support required. What is the height of the cable? I'm assuming you supplied it via an RCBO because you have no RCD in the main CU and wanted to protect the cable?

6. hutch6447

Yes height of cable is 3.5m high, and the span across from house to garage is less than 3m so i have not put supports on. Got it on RCD IN GARAGE and 20A mcb and 6A mcb sockets/lights but the main run back to the main consumer board i have put on a 32A rcbo.

7. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

As said above, no discrimination between the RCD in the garage and the RCBO in the main consumer unit. I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought the SWA feeding the garage needed RCBO protection?? Daz

8. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    ditch the RCBO at the house and use a MCB. or use a time delay RCBO --££££££s

9. hutch6447

Yeah I understand no discrimination but meeting requirements of 17th edition split boards will be rcd protected on one side and the main switch side either on rcbo's or another rcd so for sake of the assessment it will just having double protection on the rcd side, and i have 32 A protection on 4mm cable and 20 A protection on 2.5mm cable after the garage consumer board.

10. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    well, as regards assessment, i would explain that you realise that there is no discrimination, but lacking a hi-integrity CU, that's the best you could do .

11. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Providing that you're not on TT earthing and that the cable to the garage is armoured or surface run, then you don't need the RCBO at the house end. Change it for an MCB.

No offence intended, but you need to start thinking what's actually required rather than just doing what's "standard".

• Like Like x 1
  12. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

Hi

No such thing as double protection, more like pain in the bum I'll never know which RCD has tripped. Like that it won't comply and thats not good for an assessment...?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Guitarist

At least being an RCBO you wouldn't affect the rest of the installation. I've noticed over the years that many people with a fully RCD protected CU take the supply out then add another RCD in the outbuilding, and to be honest I've never known it to be that much of a pain unless someone very accident-prone lives there :)

14. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

True!

Just not the way to do it, but. ..... true. Seen loads.

15. Guitarist

Agree entirely Spartykus, tho if the worst I saw on my travels was an extra RCD in the circuit I would be a happy bunny :)

• Like Like x 1