Discuss Double insulated down lights cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have done that so you are either obtuse or trying to get a rise so I shall leave you to it.

I have done that so you are either obtuse or trying to get a rise so I shall leave you to it.
Wait a minute, you cited a Reg. I then quoted that Reg. and pointed out the bit where it states that it does not apply.

All you’ve done since is post that it does apply and then made a comment in reply to someone else that suggests I am not willing to listen.
How about you stop with the insults and put a coherent argument forward as to why my suggestion is unacceptable.

I think we are in danger of expecting the regs to be absolutely specific about everything. Then the danger is that they end up even more like War and Peace than they are now.

The regs state an earth should be terminated at every accessory. It doesn't specifically say IN the accessory however, but you could assume that's the spirit of it.

ding, ding.......... times out

Lets agree that ALL cables to downlights need to have a continuous CPC from the end of the circuit back to the CU

If a class 2 light is fitted, most of us here would sleeve the CPC and join using a push fit wago....

OK?;)

I think we are in danger of expecting the regs to be absolutely specific about everything. Then the danger is that they end up even more like War and Peace than they are now.

The regs state an earth should be terminated at every accessory. It doesn't specifically say IN the accessory however, but you could assume that's the spirit of it.
The problem here, is that there is no terminal provided for the required CPC at the accessory.
This suggests either the accessory doesn’t comply with British Standards, or that a terminal is not required.
If a terminal was provided, it would either have to be outside of the enclosure or if inside, the terminal would have to be insulated as if it were live.
Now if members are so hell bent on enclosing the CPC terminal, then strip back the CPC and cover the CPC, terminal and cable with a choc box.

It's not that it doesn't comply with standards, it is just class II. I think terminating outside the fitting is best, as the accessory is not designed to have an earth brought into it.

After 12 hours in a classroom today studying this book I can clarify one thing regarding this issue.......

....and that is I’m none the wiser.

95% thanks for asking

As an amateur, I am really intrigued by this. I don't want to get into the semantics, just a practical solution. Let's suppose you have, say, 6 downlighters, loop in, loop out, one after another...no earth terminals on those fittings...if the "earth" isn't used/necessary, why not just "loop" it beside the light fitting, so ensuring there is a continuous cpc available if and when it may be required in the future? Containment isn't an issue if it's not being used, but is a question to be addressed if/when a class 1 fitting is substituted in the future?
Surely that is better than cutting it back/taping it to the outer of the t&e?
Pith helmet on...

As an amateur, I am really intrigued by this. I don't want to get into the semantics, just a practical solution. Let's suppose you have, say, 6 downlighters, loop in, loop out, one after another...no earth terminals on those fittings...if the "earth" isn't used/necessary, why not just "loop" it beside the light fitting, so ensuring there is a continuous cpc available if and when it may be required in the future? Containment isn't an issue if it's not being used, but is a question to be addressed if/when a class 1 fitting is substituted in the future?
Surely that is better than cutting it back/taping it to the outer of the t&e?
Pith helmet on...
It’s only really a problem when trying to comply with the Regs, or when the same switch and circuits feeds other non double insulated fittings.
The Regs say terminated at each fitting, and if the CPC is required further along, it needs to be continuous.

OK, so you might have a circuit that feeds both Class 1 and Class 2 fittings? So if you continue the cpc (by joining it outwith the Class 2 fittings)then it is "continuous" and can be utilised at the Class 1 fittings...in which case the cpc needs to be made continuous at each Class 2 fitting, and proper termination and containment might apply...

"terminated at each fitting"...beside each fitting?
within each fitting?
"in reasonable proximity to each fitting such that it may be readily utilised"?

Is it maybe just common sense to keep a cpc "handy" at all fittings, properly connected/terminated for use if required?

In practice, it's quite easy to use a JB that loops in/out all three wires, except the cpc is a straight through where no earth is needed, but I would have thought that mixing types would be unusual, but not extraordinary...
and I haven't seen it, being strictly amateur...

To be honest, most of these small fittings are poorly designed when it comes to terminating.
PIRs are the same, especially when you’r trying to fit loop in, loop out and a feed to a fitting.
The old GU10s weren’t much better, a tiny enclosure often with only two terminals fixed to a bent piece of metal clipped into one of the springs.
Becomes a töss up whether it’s easier to terminate the loop in loop out into a choc box and spur some 2 core flex out to the fitting or waste time fitting the loop in loop out into the terminals on the fitting.
Have to make sure the chock box will fit through the hole for the fitting first.

Pirate is correct, the regulations are a guide. The skill is with the electrician. T&E is not the correct cable to connect any down lights.
In GU10 days it was temperature which pointed the way to the use of heat resistant flex from a JB to the light. The CPC should never be removed from the T&E cable, cut out or pulled back from the JB. It should always be terminated.
Makes me worry about the skill level of the electricians Great Britain is producing when this subject has spanned 7 pages, with people looking for ways not to do the job correctly. The CPC should be left local to and accessible for any future use. 526 Electrical Connections indicates the correct way to terminate the afore mentioned problem.
hope this helps
Electricity at work Act 1989 states:
integrity of referenced conductors
9. If a circuit conductor is connected to earth or to any other reference point, nothing which might reasonably be expected to give rise to danger by breaking the electrical continuity or introducing high impedance shall be placed in that conductor unless suitable precautions are taken to prevent that danger.

Pirate is correct, the regulations are a guide. The skill is with the electrician. T&E is not the correct cable to connect any down lights.
In GU10 days it was temperature which pointed the way to the use of heat resistant flex from a JB to the light. The CPC should never be removed from the T&E cable, cut out or pulled back from the JB. It should always be terminated.
Makes me worry about the skill level of the electricians Great Britain is producing when this subject has spanned 7 pages, with people looking for ways not to do the job correctly. The CPC should be left local to and accessible for any future use. 526 Electrical Connections indicates the correct way to terminate the afore mentioned problem.
hope this helps
Electricity at work Act 1989 states:
integrity of referenced conductors
9. If a circuit conductor is connected to earth or to any other reference point, nothing which might reasonably be expected to give rise to danger by breaking the electrical continuity or introducing high impedance shall be placed in that conductor unless suitable precautions are taken to prevent that danger.
The particular fittings being discussed are 230V and designed for loop in loop out.
The pictures on Screwfix show 3 of the fittings looped together.
BS7671 requires us to terminate a CPC at each fitting, yet the fittings have no terminal for the CPC.
Not sure where you have obtained the information about T&E not being suitable for connecting to down lights?

In any event, can you explain how you in this instance, would follow manufacturer’s instructions, whilst also complying with the requirements of BS7671?

Pirate is correct, the regulations are a guide. The skill is with the electrician. T&E is not the correct cable to connect any down lights

Sorry but have to disagree with that. There are downlights on the market specifically designed so twin and earth can , and should be used.

JCC and KSR are 2 examples

The over current protective device protects the cable....the cpc protects us.

My statement wasn't accurate so you are correct.

However my meaning was the cpc in the cable is there for protective reasons, to create an earth fault path in the event of penetration of the cable which would result in the tripping of the mcb or rcd.

Without a cpc the circuit would rely on a short circuit to trip the mcb. An earth fault could not occur so additional protection by rcd would not occur.

So yes the cpc in the cable is protecting us not the cable.

Last edited:
Alextrician asked
"whats classes as the correct method of terminating an earth cable when you have double insulated fittings?

You can see on the picture I can’t get a wage inside nor a normal connector block it’s just too tight.

I have seen in the past the cpc being bent over and also snipped off which isn’t recommend just wanted to know the correct way of termination."

Above is the original question to which my answer relates, it is not brand specific but suits all installations.
T&E is for fixed wiring, under certain limitations. Heat and sunlight are the 2 things that affect T&E the most, put your hand up if you would install external lighting with T&E clipped to an external wall.

spinlondon states:
BS7671 requires us to terminate a CPC at each fitting, yet the fittings have no terminal for the CPC.
412.2.3.2 states Except where regulation 412.1.2 applies, a circuit supplying one or more items of Class 2 equipment shall have a circuit protective conductor runto and terminated at each point in the wiring and at each accessory. It does not say in the accessory!!

Reply to Double insulated down lights cpc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock