Discuss Double ovens and manufacturers instructions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
New kitchen install

Integrated Double oven unit
Integrated single oven unit
Next to each other

Existing circuit
6mm 32A mcb

New double oven manufacturers instruction
40A fuse hard wired
New single oven manufacturers instruction
16A fuse hard wired

Existing cable too short for new isolator position, needs to come out and be replaced

So
According to manufacturers instructions

I need 10mm cable (for the 40A fuse) regardless of diversity

Anyone come across this and do you abide by manufacturers instructions or do you diversity and cable calc to size cable

So two dedicated circuits to two isolator
Then how to route cables to ccu

Do you go down below worktop and the over and up to ccu or space permitting go horizontal through one of the isolators

Or is there a neat way for two isolators to two ccu

Any Recommendations on best way of connection

Do I include the option for if the single oven gets upgraded to another double oven

Not bothered about hob as this is going in island on another dedicated circuit

Any advice greatly received

Many thanks for looking

After deciding which cable to use, the existing 6mm or a new 10mm

Check the loading and maybe you can fit one isolator for both ovens feeding a dual accessory box, a snout and a fused spur,route the cables run to suit requirements of safe zoning

Murdoch
The oven details provided was 10.8Kw and 40A fuse, but can I re-find the oven details, can i heck, will look later
diversity pulls it down to 21A ( i always use 230V)

but doesnt BS7671 imply the requirement is to abide by Manufacturers instructions which states 40A fuse!

Last edited:
I need 10mm cable (for the 40A fuse)
Why? Is the cable bedded in thermal insulation, or something?
6mm on 40A is generally OK.
but doesnt BS7671 imply the requirement is to abide by Manufacturers instructions
I don't think it says it that strong. IIRC it says something like taking the MIs into account.

Really need the actual rating of both ovens before commenting further.

Last edited:
Manufacturers instructions should be taken into account. Diversity can be applied. How each oven operating controls should also be taken into account, i.e. a simple single oven usually has a control knob, that only allows the user to operate one or two elements at a time. Your oven may operate otherwise.

Some manufactures state a total load, and a maximum usable load.

What is the oven make & model; you could try asking the manufacturer for max load advice, but I do find them a bit hit & miss. I make your oven just over 35A (using 230V), so you would have to provide a 40A supply for that.

right, found the ovens. this may be subject to change!!

Going off the AO.com website for electrical details

Scenario 1

double oven 6.3KW fuse 32Amp - diversity 15.22A

single oven 2.99KW 13A Plug - diversity 10.9A

diversity for both together 19.12A

so I would use 6mm (covering future)

32A MCB to isolator switch fed to FCU and then to socket for single oven and also to CCU for double oven

reference method 100 or even 101 would be sufficient for 6mm

Scenario 2

replace the single oven with double oven of the same

again 32A MCB 6mm to isolator to dual CCU

2 double ovens 6.3KW fuse 32Amp - diversity 23.43A

reference method 100 or even 101 would be sufficient for 6mm

could leave space when chasing to upgrade to 10mm if required at a later date, but suspect ovens becoming more efficient

this may need two circuits as close to current limits of 6mm or just fit 10mm for this scenario

Scenario 3

add warming drawer to single oven

double oven 6.3KW fuse 32Amp

single oven 2.99KW 13A Plug

warming drawer fused plug

diversity for ovens 19.12A

lets add on 5A to use a socket on the circuit 24.12A

6mm to isolator switch fed to FCU and then to double socket for single oven and warming drawer and also to CCU for double oven.

would you guys now connect the warming drawer to the cooker circuit or would that be feed off ring

still not sure about the best method to cover this, 10mm, two 6mm circuits etc

Is this your own installation OP, or are you doing it for someone. Until the client has decided upon what appliances he/she wants, you can't really plan your installation, unless you just drag in a couple of 6/10mm and take what comes?

On diversity; I do not apply it to the combined appliances, but just to each appliance. Some might not agree with that, but in my opinion, thats how it should be.

this is for my own installation, but not come up against this scenario before, the double and single oven is the current plan, but so is a 2 double ovens , and or single and warming drawer.

just putting in 10mm then would accommodate most scenarios for two ovens side by side

how would you connect a warming drawer, to the cooker circuit or to the ring?

this is for my own installation, but not come up against this scenario before, the double and single oven is the current plan, but so is a 2 double ovens , and or single and warming drawer.

just putting in 10mm then would accommodate most scenarios for two ovens side by side

how would you connect a warming drawer, to the cooker circuit or to the ring?

Unless the two ovens are side by side, I would provide two separate circuits, just easier at the appliance end, regardless of cable size etc.

The warming draw, is normally low wattage? Have you decided on other circuits for your kitchen?

so you've got 2 ovens and a warming drawer

I would be running in 2 dedicated circuits ...........

Reply to Double ovens and manufacturers instructions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock