Discuss Double pole light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pebsham

I need to switch 2 lights at the same time which are on different circuits. I can't gain access anywhere (hard wood floors and untouchable ceilings but I can get to both switch cables. The simplest solution would be a 1-gang, 1-way double-pole switch but I can't find one. I've looked at using a 20A isolator switch as a light switch but they seem a little "chunky". (Not to mention they all seem to have "on" stencilled on them.

Any suggestions?

I did think of a fan isolator but they all seem to have that "giant" switch which might look odd as a light switch.

I did think of a fan isolator but they all seem to have that "giant" switch which might look odd as a light switch.

There are other ways to do this, you seem to want to retain the asthetics of looking like a standard light switch so use the switch to pull in a 10amp 230v coil 8pin relay and use the relay to switch the 2 circuits.

Thanks for the MK logic one Leesparkykent I'll track it down. To darkwood thanks for the reply but I can't think where I'd be able to hide the relay.

I need to switch 2 lights at the same time which are on different circuits. I can't gain access anywhere (hard wood floors and untouchable ceilings but I can get to both switch cables. The simplest solution would be a 1-gang, 1-way double-pole switch but I can't find one. I've looked at using a 20A isolator switch as a light switch but they seem a little "chunky". (Not to mention they all seem to have "on" stencilled on them.

Any suggestions?

Are both switch wires situated at the same switch? Not assuming anything, but what makes you think the lights are on 2 separate circuits, I 'm only asking because the simplest way would be to connect both switch line to the same switch, or have I got it all wrong.

Last edited:
One light is on an outside light circuit (even though this light is in a closed in walkway the other is a mudroom on the main downstairs circuit. They share a wall and the customer wants both on at the same time

access to the necessary cables? on different circuits / RCD's?

TBH theres not enough to go on so, like usual, we are left guessing!
It's a classic example - try to guess the solution while being cagey about the specifics, nothing else will be acceptable because this is the solution the customer has decided they want.
Instead of telling the customer the lights must be on separate switches and they'll have to operate 2 switches at the same time because they're on different circuits it falls to people on a forum to give up their time to pander to the customer.

Once this customer discovers they can throw their weight around they'll probably decide whatever switch goes in will be too dissimilar to the existing switches, then it's back to square one having exhausted all other routes.

Personally I'd offer them the option of rewiring one of the lights so they're both on the same circuit and see if it's really that important to have both lights switched together, but apparently that's not what the customer requires.

Grid switches are available in SP and DP that look the same.

Definitely a situation where I would put an 'Isolate all supplies...' notice inside the backbox, as unlike a 2g it's not common to have two circuits on a 1g light switch.

Reply to Double pole light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock