Discuss Double Socket issues - help needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Monkey Nuts

hi guys and gals
could really use some help
at my girlfriends property, there is a double socket which is behaving rather strangely!
one side of the socket works fine (cuts the power when switched off etc.)
however, the other side is permanently on, regardless of the switch position.
i have replaced the face plate, but the problem still remains.
any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
p.s. the socket is in a recently constructed (12 months or so) stud wall and might have been doing this from day 1.
many thanks for your replies

Long shot if the original's been in for 12mths. That said, long story made short, I installed a two BG FCU in succession, both had faulty switches.
Get a better sequence if they were outboard rocker MK sockets.

Long shot if the original's been in for 12mths. That said, long story made short, I installed a two BG FCU in succession, both had faulty switches.

BG with internal switching parts? What were you thinking? We only use BG for unswitched single socket outlets. Will never trust pull cord switches again either.

BG with internal switching parts? What were you thinking? We only use BG for unswitched single socket outlets. Will never trust pull cord switches again either.
To be honest there ain't much to trust from most these days.

Yeah I had repeating trouble with their pull cords a couple of years back.

I do wonder if wholesalers actually return and report back small numbers of faulty equipment, or whether it just gets binned. If it's the latter, which would not surprise me, then the manufacturers may not get this feedback....

Yeah I had repeating trouble with their pull cords a couple of years back.

I do wonder if wholesalers actually return and report back small numbers of faulty equipment, or whether it just gets binned. If it's the latter, which would not surprise me, then the manufacturers may not get this feedback....

I return my faulty BG switched FCU's, to the manufacturer. The switch was faulty, isolating the neutral but not the live! I encountered the fault when I was using the FCU to switch LED under cabinet lighting, and my customer called me back because his lights were flashing when turned off. Unfortunately, I couldn't replicate the fault. After a couple of visits, and replacing the FCU, I found the fault operating the FCU switch a few times.

BG examined them. I had suggested they might want to recall the batch, as I had had two out of the same box from my wholesaler. They suggested the fault was down to me using them to switch LED under cabinet lighting!

I return my faulty BG switched FCU's, to the manufacturer. The switch was faulty, isolating the neutral but not the live! I encountered the fault when I was using the FCU to switch LED under cabinet lighting, and my customer called me back because his lights were flashing when turned off. Unfortunately, I couldn't replicate the fault. After a couple of visits, and replacing the FCU, I found the fault operating the FCU switch a few times.

BG examined them. I had suggested they might want to recall the batch, as I had had two out of the same box from my wholesaler. They suggested the fault was down to me using them to switch LED under cabinet lighting!

They would say some carp like that, as they never like to admit there may be an issue. I know LEDs have higher inrushes but blimey that would be a lot of lights!

I had a faulty BG RCBO the other week. They are cheap for a reason I guess.

They'll soon realise, with an attitude like that, people will vote with their feet. If the trade doesn't trust one item and keep getting problems with others, why should the boards etc be trusted. That is very bad for business which will only be regretted when it's too late.

Had to replace a BG 45a switch for a shower I recently installed, with slight thermal damage to cable, for which I had to replace both. Put it down to my incompetence of not tightening the terminals enough. However, with my experience with the FCU's, I re-examined the 45a switch which I'd kept. The tarnishing wasn't visible in the terminal, but very clear inside it when I took it apart. Whilst I can't rule out operator error, I won't use BG stuff again. Only used it in the first place to match up with original existing.

We do a lot of refebs in schools and a hospital near by when you take the old stuff out lighting,switches sockets d.b's & switchgear from 70's/80's it's solid to drive down the cost/keep cost competitive things are getting thinner & thinner and the quality is not there even a bit with the makes like MK, C/TREE etc

We do a lot of refebs in schools and a hospital near by when you take the old stuff out lighting,switches sockets d.b's & switchgear from 70's/80's it's solid to drive down the cost/keep cost competitive things are getting thinner & thinner and the quality is not there even a bit with the makes like MK, C/TREE etc
We do a lot of schools also and the old 60s/70s stuff still going strong, anything more modern is damaged/faulty.

i'll get another faceplate and try again

This statement caught my attention
what is he replacing ?
He says the faceplate
is he replacing the switch mechanism
or just the cosmetic plate
as they are different things
faceplate top right
mechanism bottom right

Double Socket issues - help needed {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Double Socket issues - help needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock