Discuss Double switch - 3 way wiring help needed please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tanya81

Hi all,

I 'm hoping some kind clever person can help me out a little. I'm nearly finished swapping some 30+yr old 70's light switches but have ran into a spot of bother with the wiring on what I believe is a three way light setup :(

I've attached two photo's of the existing wiring and new switches purchased. I was hoping to copy and move across to the new switch but my inexperience has got the better of me!!!

(Existing wiring - Attached picture 2way.jpeg)
I initially purchased a 2 way double switch but discovered the existing wiring setup to be different. (The existing socket also appears to the upside down)

(attached picture 3way.jpeg)
I then purchased a 3 way intermediate switch but am confused on how to wire this up. Can someone point me in the right direction? I understand this socket will need a separate earthing as this switch is metal which I can sort.

Many thanks all, any help is much appreciated. Trying to save a few quid by not calling out a pro.......I know!!! Feel free to roll eyes but being honest :)

Double switch - 3 way wiring help needed please 2way - EletriciansForums.net

Double switch - 3 way wiring help needed please 3way intermediate - EletriciansForums.net

Many thanks for the prompt replies, most grateful to you both :)

Both lights that this switch operates are also controlled elsewhere too by different switches so I presume the intermediate 3 way one will be the one to use. I have plenty of fuse wire at the ready just in case i screw up hehe!

A bit of essential information:
The original switch in your picture is laid out like this
Double switch - 3 way wiring help needed please {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The new switch is laid out differently.

A bit of essential information:
The original switch in your picture is laid out like this
Double switch - 3 way wiring help needed please {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The new switch is laid out differently.

Could I be extra cheeky and ask you to label up where the cables go on my new switch? I know I'm asking a lot but I would be SUPER SUPER grateful...and then some :)

The two red and black cables go to the bottom in pairs, i.e. red black to two terminals on the left/red black to to two terminals on the right. The single red cable coming in goes to the top terminal with the link cable, and the link cable goes to the other top terminal, both marked common. So that little link cable on you old switch needs to be shortened as there is not much space in the back box. Why don't you wire it up with the fuse removed of course!!!! and post a pic BEFORE you make it live again. Then it will be possible to confirm the correct wiring?

as midwest stated. it's a simple job for an experienced sparks. i'd estimate not more than £50 to cover a call-out and up to an hour's time. i could attend one day this week if you like. or search the forum electricians diary for other sparks in your area.

I have to agree with both of the above posts. If you have just dismantled it and not noted where the wires came from , you may give yourself a real headache ; to say the least.

Many thanks for the prompt replies, most grateful to you both :)

Both lights that this switch operates are also controlled elsewhere too by different switches so I presume the intermediate 3 way one will be the one to use. I have plenty of fuse wire at the ready just in case i screw up hehe!
You will only need the intermediate switch if one of the lights are controlled in 3 different places. If you only have 2 switches per light then you won't need the intermediate switch, just a 2 gang 2 way switch.

Reply to Double switch - 3 way wiring help needed please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock