Discuss down a hole fixing a cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm in a trench being attacked by flies that want my blood.

The cable is a 4mm csa 3 core SWA, new colours.
The cable is burried 1.5m in made up ground behind a wall built of sleepers .
There is yellow tape 0.1m above the cable.
The Run is about 70M

The supply was switched off, so dispite having a detector and knowing there was a cable there some where in there, the digging team didn't have a chance.
The property is locked, the location is remote.
The digging team are laying a pipe and back filling as they go.
They have stalled.
So here I am with submarine kits to patch it up so they can carry on.

I check the ends with a test meter, volts against the ground I'm in first.
All dead.
Then resistances,
on the sink end 31.3ohm between Brown and Black, 0.67ohm between Grey and armour. 1.17Mohm between Brown and Grey.
On the source end
>50Mohm between Brown and all others,
0.09ohm between Grey and armour, 0.08ohm between grey and black.
From these readings I take the following guesses.
The supply system is TNCS and is live.
If there is an RCD it did not trip but may still trip if I short the black and grey.
Only the supply circuit breaker or fuse is out.
The load is about 7A single phase
The spark who connected the system used the grey coloured cable as a cpc in parrallel with the armour.

So whilst I 'm waiting for the resin to cure and hoping not to have to come back when they key holder is found, I'm thinking..
In the good old days when we used red blue and yellow it was obvious which conductor to use for single phase cpc and which for the phase and neutral. These days it is not so.
And the question is, which colour do you choose for a cpc on a single phase system wire in three core brown black grey?

You can use any you wish as long as it is correctly identified. Even on the old colour system there was nothing cast in stone to say the yellow can be utilized as the cpc, people saw yellow as being akin to green/yellow and blue as neutral as in flexible cables/cords with the yellow occasionally sleeved and the blue left unidentified when it should have been black.

Grey-neutral
Black-CPC
All cables must be identified each end and at any JBs along the way...
and try to get an easier job next time!
Who needs plumbers, builders, owners, breathing down your neck, while not having proper access? F**K THEM ALL! Stand your ground, take a breather, remember you are the true professional!

Grey-neutral
Black-CPC
All cables must be identified each end and at any JBs along the way...
and try to get an easier job next time!
Who needs plumbers, builders, owners, breathing down your neck, while not having proper access? F**K THEM ALL! Stand your ground, take a breather, remember you are the true professional!
Where is that conductor usage stated?

I think green/yellow looks better on black
and blue looks better on grey.
but always verify with tester, never trust a bit of tape.
Don't mind clients and other trades standing and watching,
just charge more for the instruction.
wiska submarine plastic cases are a bit brittle when trimming the ends to fit the cable, bring a junior hacksaw next time.
WAGO blocks and self amalgamating tape no good underground
had to dig up a joint like that last week

Reply to down a hole fixing a cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock