Discuss Down & Upstairs lights fed from both mcbs in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So just wondering if anyone's had this problem before just might save me some time when it comes to fault finding!

Basically I bought my first house last week (woop) and until yesterday when putting spots in the kitchen i realised downstairs lights breaker is off but still have power? So upon investigation i turned off upstairs lights and turned on downstairs and again, still had power...turn off both breakers - no power.

So basically has anyone had this issue before? Looks like somewhere the circuits are both connected and I'm hoping it's going to be the 2 way lighting between down and upstairs.

Thanks for your help if any! Il keep you posted if i find it tomottow!

Seems like the circuits have been crossed at some point with the proper testing gear it should be easy enough to find and disconnect where they are linked, be careful of crossed neutrals though if your installing a split board

I have one of these to correct, next visit. Most likely someone changing hall/landing light switches who didn't know what they were doing and mixed up the circuits.

Sorry for late reply! I've found the fault straight away, took the downstairs switch off and they connected down lights feed into l1 and switch feed l2 with strapped going upstairs, and upstairs switch had the feed into l1 and switch feed l2 so hence connected! Not the best with electrical terminology i have only recently completed my AM2 and don't do alot of domestic so still learning! Thanks for the help!

Sorry for late reply! I've found the fault straight away, took the downstairs switch off and they connected down lights feed into l1 and switch feed l2 with strapped going upstairs, and upstairs switch had the feed into l1 and switch feed l2 so hence connected! Not the best with electrical terminology i have only recently completed my AM2 and don't do alot of domestic so still learning! Thanks for the help!

Interesting .... did the 2 way work before and after the changes ?

Yes it worked before but if you imagine i had 1 2 gang 2 way switch downstairs and same upstairs, but originally one of the switches on each gang was doing nothing (because the feed and we live was in the wrong switch) so the 2 way lighting would work on the one switch but both circuits connected together.

Reply to Down & Upstairs lights fed from both mcbs in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net