Discuss downflow heater installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
morning..

was going to fit 1kw down flow heater in a wc in old damp building controlled by a thermostat. now on reading instructions it says dont use with a timer or any other device that switches the heater on automatically,since a fire risk exists if heater is covered or positioned incorrectly .

which i think wont be a fire risk or cant be covered as will be mounted on a concrete wall over 2m off floor.

secondly it says use 30mA rcd but all cabiling will be on the surface...

your thoughts please..

reason is there is chance it could be left on, but is a stat built in but surely my stat would be better control set at 10 degrees max

I just read your post again. You said "...if heater is covered or positioned incorrectly" this implies that the heater could have a portable option and this requirement may not apply if the heater is mounted. If it doesn't say anything specific you could always phone them.

morning..

was going to fit 1kw down flow heater in a wc in old damp building controlled by a thermostat. now on reading instructions it says dont use with a timer or any other device that switches the heater on automatically,since a fire risk exists if heater is covered or positioned incorrectly .

which i think wont be a fire risk or cant be covered as will be mounted on a concrete wall over 2m off floor.

secondly it says use 30mA rcd but all cabiling will be on the surface...

your thoughts please..

Yet another example where using commonsense will lead you down the path to walk!! You have, as far as i'm concerned, answered your own question!! lol!!

and rcd protection???? why they ask for this...

Probably to cover their backsides if the cheaply made unit develops a fault and kills someone. Call me cynical if you want :). Daz

and rcd protection???? why they ask for this...

Comply with BS7671 RCD requirements, and you won't go far wrong!! You answered that question yourself too!! ...lol!! Why a fixed wall heater wired in accordance with BS7671 would need RCD protection i don't know!!

see post #7. CYA from the manufacturers.

okk... next one...

the heater has internal switch for 1kw and 2 kw, and a stat, when i turn it on and turn the stat till it clicks it doesnt cut off..... so what is this stat for..

ok with clamp meter ive done test and the stat only switches from 2kw to 1kw .... so only useful if on 2kw setting and not that useful it wont switch off..

ok with clamp meter ive done test and the stat only switches from 2kw to 1kw .... so only useful if on 2kw setting and not that useful it wont switch off..

There will probably be an internal fixed over temp cutout. It just sounds like a cheap heater to me!! lol!!

Sounds like it might be one of these:
2kw Wall Mounted Fan Heater IPX4

The internal thermostat switches it from 2kW to 1kW when up to temperature.

For a small toilet, you won't need more than 1kW; in fact the instructions say to select 1kW for room sizes below a certain volume to reduce the risk of the overheat cutout tripping.

Manufacturer's instructions don't override regs; they just have to be taken into account.

If the manufacturer specified the use of an RCD, this will be because these wall mounted fans are typically used in bathrooms. If no bath or shower, and the wiring is surface run, I would not feel that I had to fit one.

brilliant, just went and changed it to dimplex, for extra £2.... AND IT DOESNT SAY NOT TO USE TIMER OR MENTION RCD BUT TRUST YOUR SPARK TO INSTALL SAFELY , TY OVER AND OUT , GO FIT IT NOW...

TY

Fitted literally hundreds of the Dimplex heaters, I usually switch them to 1kw and leave the pull cord on them, however I wouldn't have a problem controlling one via a frost stat to stop pipes bursting, for heating a room though I would consider a different option, but thats just me :grin:

It will be double insulated the 1-2kw setting is for the size of the room and they now have a preset 22-23oC setpoint instead of a dial at the side with a pullcord switch I take it the stat is set for10oC for frost ?(internal) control

Reply to downflow heater installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net