Discuss Downgraded from a 9.5Kw shower to an 8.5kw one. Need to change wires/fuse/switch as well? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello there! So we had a Triton Cara 9.5 Kw which was working OK for a couple of years and then the switch started burning a few times. Once we changed the solenoid coil and it was fine for a couple of months. But now the fuse tripped bc the switch burned and there is smoke after using the shower for about 25 minutes.

This may be the 3rd switch since the problems started.
Anyways, I went ahead and ordered the same model but this time an 8.5 kw as the flow of hot water isn't that big of a concern. Now what I must ask is, do I also have to change the fuse(cartridge?) which I assume is a 45amp one to a 40 amp one? What about the wires? It is a pull cord switch.

Also, do you suggest I change the order and simply get another 9.5kw one and not worry about the rest?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks !

We are having an electrician come over but hopefully they are qualified and I thought it would be better if I had some knowledge about the issue beforehand so I don't get ripped off or something.

And Triton just sells the showers, I don't think they have anything to do with the matter. The item's warranty has long ended.

What sort of switch is it you have been changing, if it is a pull switch and square change it to a Crabtree 50A or if a wall one a MK or Crabtree

Hi - noting we can't know what's been installed and if it's in good condition or not - reducing your shower to 8.5kW does not mean you have to change anything electrically. After your troubles, I'd recommend you have an Electrician take a look though.

We are having an electrician come over but hopefully they are qualified and I thought it would be better if I had some knowledge about the issue beforehand so I don't get ripped off or something.

And Triton just sells the showers, I don't think they have anything to do with the matter. The item's warranty has long ended.

I doubt as such your troubles are related to the shower itself. More likely poor or loose connections in the cable between fuse and shower, including the local switch. This may have damaged the cable, which will need replacing or cutting back to undamaged cable.

But in any case, we are speculating, and you need to take advice from your forthcoming electrician visit.

Alright thanks a lot everyone. The switch is a pull cord 45A. To be fair the wires are extremely hard to bend and when you push the switch back up, everything gets cramped up. I will change the shower for good measure, there might be some scale build up inside.

If the cable needs replacing, have one of these installed in an adjacent cupboard, like an airing cupboard.
Downgraded from a 9.5Kw shower to an 8.5kw one. Need to change wires/fuse/switch as well? upload_2019-1-19_12-36-40 - EletriciansForums.net with a surface box. More room for the cables, and help prevent similar problems.

Alright thanks a lot everyone. The switch is a pull cord 45A. To be fair the wires are extremely hard to bend and when you push the switch back up, everything gets cramped up. I will change the shower for good measure, there might be some scale build up inside.
that's the problem with a lot of shower pulcords. change to a crabtree or a click. the way the cables route into the terminals eliminates that problem.

Also, if the switch has become damaged through overheating, it is likely that the ends of the cable are also damaged. If you havent cut them back before replacing the switch, you will still have a high resistance through the corroded cable which will continue to overheat.

Fuse protects the appliance. What is the fuse rating? If 9.5Kw appliance was 'smoking' and the fuse did not trip out fuse rating is too high. If you now fit 8.5Kw with the same fuse 'smoking' may become 'burning' and the fuse will not trip out. You cannot just swap out an electric power shower located in Zone 1. A burning power shower with water running through it whilst you are in the bath or shower is a death trap. For pity's sake get someone in to check it out and fit it for you.

Last edited:
No, fuse generally protects the cable. Smoke probably means high resistance connections which won't blow the fuse unless the cable shorts, which it did once but maybe not again. Not sure what you're getting at.

No, fuse generally protects the cable. Smoke probably means high resistance connections which won't blow the fuse unless the cable shorts, which it did once but maybe not again. Not sure what you're getting at.
I have seen the results of this once. A guy called me to ask what to do. He was having a shower and the power shower was on fire. You can imagine my response. I later discovered cable burnt out inside the power shower. Someone had fitted a 'cheaper' lower capacity power shower and left the higher capacity fuse in place. Remedy: rip out and back to gravity fed shower.

Reply to Downgraded from a 9.5Kw shower to an 8.5kw one. Need to change wires/fuse/switch as well? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock