Discuss Downlight earthing For housing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
i am doing work in a void property for the council, there are downlights installed into a wet wall ceiling in the kitchen ( put in by previous tennant ) they are wanting to keep, when going round each downlight the earths were chopped away so went round sorted them all but i am getting no earth still so where they have joined from the original light position they have probably not joined the earth, the lights are wired through conduit with earths and the conduits earthed, and theres an earth going up to the light at the switch, i was wanting the ceiling down to get to the joint at the original light position but doing that would probably burst the wet wall and they would have to put a new ceiling up, the niceic inspector for the housing said that you can take a 4mm bond from the pipes in the boiler cupboard in the kitchen to the lights to give it an earth is this ok to do ?

I would try and get a CPC from the lights to the switch position if at all possible but if you can't then a 4mm to a suitable point to get continuity would suffice.

A note on the certificate and labels on the DB and CPC to make it easier for future works would also be advisable.

An extraneous conductive part maybe used as a protective conductor as long as it satisfies regulation 543.2.6.
Note a requirement is that the pipework is an extraneous conductive part and the cross sectional area shall be large enough or equal to applying regulation 543.1.1 which is sizing of protective conductors.

Best off reading regulation 543.2.1 and 543.2.6

Reply to Downlight earthing For housing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock