Discuss downlight for angled ceiling suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
planning a job where i am fitting down lights in the kitchen, part of the ceiling is angled. The other downlights on the level ceiling are blocked out by a person stood at the sink when washing up etc.
The ceiling is between 35-40 degrees. a normal light would shine out into the kitchen rather than downwards.
Been asked to fit one on the angled part so the light points directly down below. not fitted them in angled ceilings in a domestic setting before
A lot of the movable downlights with gimbles etc in have quite shallow angles, so if i mount it a bit higher up the angled beam should reach below where i want it as the angled ceiling goes up beyond the sink.
Ideally i want a downlight with a really good degree of angle on it so i can position it just right to literally shine in the sink!.
What angled downlights are people using? I need brushed chrome / nickel bezels on them.

angled downlight.PNG

I just noticed fire rated LED downlights on the CEF website that appear to be adjustable angle, but I couldn't say what they are like personally.
Its on their "specials" section of the homepage, so take that however you like.

I think you will struggle with such an angle. I use:

JCC tilt for complete units
KSR for GU1o tins..
even if i cant get one directly facing down, my thinking is given the angled ceiling , if i mount it quite high up, then it should still light up the sink area. He is adamant he wants a light there. so customer spec i am afraid.

I think you need to show the customer what it'll look like before you first fix

What is the widest angle GU10 LED output angle available?

That is a very large angle to achieve. Do you have limited space above the ceiling on the angled section ? And what IP rating are you looking at ?

yes, limited space as that part of ceiling has approx 10cm of space in it, so have to have shallow fittings in that part. its part of extension roof. the flat part of ceiling is higher than normal. above which is a large void, so no problems moving insulation and running cables.

I am thinking i may put one on a piece of mdf and fix a plug on the end so i can hold it up temporarily so customer can see the angle of the light beam etc.. When i do the maths with various angles on my sketches - good old pencil and paper i think it comes out okay.

Have just completed a barn conversion to 3 bed house, vaulted ceilings throughout and all downlights. Used standard Ansel Twistlock Gimbal fittings and Enlite 5W GU10 60 degree lamps, worked a treat

I think you need to show the customer what it'll look like before you first fix

What is the widest angle GU10 LED output angle available?
110 degrees Beam Angle is the widest I have seen, although they don't seem to be just as common anymore. 60 degree beam angle is what I use generally.

Ansell Orbio are the ones. They are fixed downlights but come with two lenses (15 and 30 degrees?) which direct the light to where you want. They also make a very cost effective dimmer for these. Cracking downlights at a sensible price. Can also get square bezels for them which look quite funky

Last edited:
I used some Integral tilt downlights last week from CEF on an angled ceiling. They did tilt quite a lot although you'd have to check if they tilt enough for your ceiling.

I put some of these in a vaulted ceiling Vela Compact IP44 Dimmable LED Fire Rated Downlight - 7W - http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/downlights-vela-compact-ip44-dimmable-led-fire-rated-downlight-7w-1499
primarily because of their low profile (40mm), available in the ceiling. 25' tilt & 40' beam angle.

Have you thought about, how they will be installed in a Celotex etc ceiling installation, if there is one?
No celotex in the extension roof, all usual insulation wool up there.

Reply to downlight for angled ceiling suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net