Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Downlight spacing calculator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. SparkyAndGeorge

SparkyAndGeorge Active EF Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Could be useful. the interesting thing is that the calculator gives no method of ceiling height.
    IIRC the amount of light that arrives at floor level reduces with distance, so that must mean that more lights are needed for high ceilings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Usually governed by trying to get a symmetrical spacing that fits with ceiling joists.
    Obviously you get more technical when considering ceiling height, lumens and beam angles.

4. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Useless, no accounting for chimney breasts, empty alcoves, built in alcoves etc etc.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Why inches ??

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    because inches are civilised and can be understood by those of us who are over 40.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

It’s from one of our former colonies…Trumpland.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    who had the common sense to stick to feet/inches/yards/gallons when the UK was obsessed with euoro phile rubbish.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Of course the maths side of things works best when you got straight and flat walls. Seemingly a rarity. Otherwise what is mathematically accurate and spaced out well wont necessarily look aesthetically pleasing or accurate. you also have to factor the joists in to the marking out.
    I have some thin MDF discs that i put some old chrome bezels on. when i am happy with the marking out, i stick these up with some little screws or double sided pads.
    If I am happy then great, but I often get the customer to decide, and often move a few a couple of inches one way or another along the x or y axis, to get the visual effect