Discuss downlighter conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

cossie362

hi guys
quick question regarding downlighters with no fire hoods in a top floor flat
building is 15yrs old requires a periodic before bein let out on the new deic reports would this be a code c3?

i think so,even worse as well if there is loft insulation,but its a small cost fix for the owner and a must.i have seen people use flower pots before!!!!

Are these fittings that are recessed with no habitable room above? accessed via the loft?

agree with rich.250. just move insulation away. no code.

and they don't have to be fire rated downlights either.

what i have used in the past to protect the down light from the insulation i a plastic terminal that goes on top of soil pipes etc just bend the retailing legs over place over the down light an stick like sh** to hold it in place works a treat

Think I'm right in saying only require fire rating between floors, (If there's a room above) to stop the spread of fire to a habitable room, if it's a loft above then no fire rated fitting required, just clear insulation around the fitting..

Personally I always fit fire rated downlights no matter where they are installed, common sense sometimes has to take over here, I have seen many bags and Xmas tree boxes thrown into a loft hatch and resting against light fittings..

Fire rated would be my choice, and there required in a dwelling above 2nd storey If habitable. E.g loft conversion.
Or if it's a separate dwelling above. Flats etc

But this is irrelevant to EICR as its a building regulation.

I was pulled at my elecsa inspection last year because I'd fitted fire rated downlights in a Ceiling with a loft above, cut around the insulation and not fitted hoods. I was told that I must always fit a hood and use heat resistant flex to the fitting. I was surprised but there you go.

yeah. i would have asked the assessor for the reg. no.

It shocked me at the time. The flex one was more "good practice" he said but he was insistent on the hoods.

If I get him again this year then I'll be asking him. I feel a bit daft now for just going along with what he said (respect your elders and all that). Watch this space for an update.

Reply to downlighter conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock