Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Downlights - GU10 or Sealed units ......... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

?

What do you do?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2018.
  1. GU10's

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Sealed Units

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Let customers decide

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Fairly simple question about peoples preferences

Personally I'm thinking that sealed units are now not really an option as there is too much waste when they go wrong and often it means time I'm not paid for

Whereas customers can change GU10's themselves .......

Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

The cost of both types seems to have narrowed, but I guess the life span is the same. Is the extended warranty that comes with the sealed units advantages, and have any of the GU 10's an extended warranty?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S P

S P Regular EF Member

I was just going through the same question funny enough, hence I found this. Good timing Murdoch!

I always install the Enlite FD fittings as they are good quality & value and fit either Philips or Enlite LED's.

I have been to a couple of jobs where integral fittings have failed and are no longer available resulting in the client having mismatched lights. This really put me off them so I have only installed a few that have been provided.

I also like the hole size of the FD's... 75mm, enough to get your hand in and find the cable. The integral ones are smaller. Any issues?
    Recently binned some LAP cheap **** builder had attempted to fit, cut out tiny, terminals tiny, no earth terminal = You can guess the mess!

Saying that I was just looking at the good price and reviews of the E8 and feeling a bit tempted!

4. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

I take the view that with sealed units as the manufacturers know what is going to be in them, then they are able to state whether the units can be covered with insulation. If this is important or a possible consideration I recommend sealed units.

Having said that .....JCC FLEDs are proving an unwise choice with there failure rate

5. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I was aware of the goping FGLED6's, having replaced 10's myself. Are there others in their range going the same way?

6. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

Not as far as I am aware, hope not. Am having quite a nice day on diazepam and tramadol, please don't spoil it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

I fit sealed units as standard. I have used KSR for a while now and only had a couple of failures out of a good few hundred.

I only offer free labour to replace in the first 12 months, regardless of manufacturer's warranty.

It means I don't have to fanny about with different fittings for different situations as the sealed units are IP65, fire rated, and have different coloured bezels available. They also have a separate driver which makes installation easier.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Gu10s every time customer complains when a sealed unit fails but (most) can change a lamp

9. Jay89

Jay89 Regular EF Member

Enlite cans with Enlite GU10 lamps for me, with the interchangeable bezels they now have I can’t see the benefit of a sealed unit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I use these cans as standard as well. I use the cheapest lamps possible from my wholesaler which are Vtac, 3 year guarantee for a quid each.

11. Jay89

Jay89 Regular EF Member

Will have to look into those, the ones I use are around £5 each! Non-dimmable I presume?

12. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I think you get stuck with what you use as you don’t want to rock the boat.
    I started with enlite twist and turns with Megaman GU10 dimmables costing £12 ish all in but then Denmans were selling the JCC V50 for £12.95 so I gave them a go thinking that with a 70mm cut out if they go wrong I can upgrade with something bigger. I’ve fitted less than 100 and so far they’ve been good (save a spot weld breaking on a spring holder, they’ve changed the design since) switchable WW or CW and different bezel colours.
    I’m now afraid to change. I’m the same with CUs though, I’ve only fitted 4 different manufacturers and need to try more types.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah non dim. Im not up for paying £4+ for a megaman.

• Like Like x 1