Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss downstairs lights looking for advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. scott 123

scott 123 Regular EF Member

hi all
    job this morning downstairs /landing lights not working ...lights flickered and went off last night ( trip stayed on)..mcb working (another circuit connected to it works fine) tested this morning (no cpc ) joined line and neutral at board tested at ceiling rose continuity ok .. but no power to any points
    any advice what to check for ?

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    It will be the same circuit if it's connected to the same OCPD!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Not 100% sure on what you are saying here. Do you have continuity on line and neutral from supply to the roses that are not working? Continuity tests will find this problem.
    Is it 3 plate, or neutral at switch?

4. scott 123

ok .. that light is only a metre away and can follow cable(only feeding that 1 light).....i was trying to say mcb working ....what do you advise i check for next

5. scott 123

3 plate at rose...continuity on line and neutral at roses that i checked but no power ....surely if continuity ok power should be there

6. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

You can't have continuity of the line and neutral supply or else the light would be lit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Quick lesson... ohms law... voltage drop is proportional to the current flowing. Under load a high resistance joint may drop enough to prevent the lamps from lighting (depending on the type of lamps).

Depending on what test equipment you are using, it may or may not reveal high resistance joints... depends how much current it uses. So, if you're using a continuity function on a multimeter or AVI, it's not likely to provide reliable results... you should use the low ohms mode of an MFT or suitable stand alone meter as this will use quite a high test current (high test current = bigger voltage drop on small resistances).

• Like Like x 2
  8. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Should have added, working systematically, work your way along the circuit checking for loose connections (physically and visually) and testing the resistance of each conductor (using a long lead test back to the CU). Pay particular attention to any lights that are not ceiling roses as these are likely to have concealed junctions or choc block attrocities.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scott 123

agreed ...but i have and its not

10. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Have you got line continuity at the switched terminal at the rose.

11. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    What else is protected by the OCPD controlling the lights that aren't working. Reconnect the leg that you have dissed and as SC says check lights and switches for loose or broken connections.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spunkywads26

Spunkywads26 Forum Mentor

It may be a stupid answer but have you actually operated the switch when testing.

The way I read it was that you have continuity between loop live and neutral and not switched live and neutral.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Baker1988

Baker1988 Electrician's Arms

I was going to state what is above aswell. Are you testing at the switch side of the celing rose? Not the loop in the middle? Also have you checked the continuity of the flex drop aswell as there may be a loose wire in the drop its self and are you sure the drop is not damaged. Try changing it.

14. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Unlikely to be a switch drop, as all the lights on that circuit have gone out. Time to start again with the continuity tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum .... interesting.

Linking L & N and using a meter is the best approach, so:

Did you make notes of the readings from different fittings?

Have you tried the same with the neutral not linked at the CU? This may sound odd but you may have a parallel path via another neutral.