Discuss DPDT relay connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fog

Hi please can someone help on relay wiring. I have a dpdt relay of 30 amps(all 230v) i am using a central heating control to power the coil to turn relay on, as i understand i put the switched live and neutral to pins A1 and A2 from central heating control, to energise the coil to switch the power. Which is switched via coil operation from common terminals (live and neutral) to NC, (normally closed) to pass the power through the coil to turn load on? and i ignore the NO (normally open) terminals, is this correct?
A Double Pole Double Throw Relay comes with 8 terminal points.

The terminals are COIL, COIL, COM, COM, NO, NO, NC, NC.
never wired relay before can do with some help.
many thanks

Hi,

I have attached a generic diagram of a DPDT relay, this is shown in the un-energised state (the coil), the contacts will change state when the coil is energised, ie. the N/O will become closed, and the N/C will open WRT the common contact.

Edit: the terminal markings are just for reference, normally as you say the coil terminations are designated A1 and A2

Attachments

• DPDT relay.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 90
With the information you give

1/ common 1
2/ coil L

3/ NO 1
4/ NC 1
5/ NC 2
6/ NO 2
7/ coil N
8/ common 2

The numbers are for an octal based relay.

If you don’t understand C, NO, NC you should be looking for a new job!

its simple,live and neutral from clock to coil 1and 2 to operate relay,live and neutral in connect to the commons and live and neutral out to the normally open terminals making sure you maintain polarity ie l to common 1 l out to n o 1 neutral to common 2 neutral out to n o 2

thanks for the advice, not sure get the meaning from tony please could he explain?, what is C, NO, NC before i look for new job!

Hi thanks for all your help. works fine, Yes do understand Common, Normally Open , Normally closed, just didnt want any confusion. once again thanks

Reply to DPDT relay connections in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net